Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye rods for bobber fishing. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Keeper

Default Walleye rods for bobber fishing.

Iím looking at purchasing a rod to slip bobber for walleye. What are some recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Wallhanger

Honestly I just use a 9.5 ft ml shimano Compre I bought years ago for steelhead. Extra length is good for picking up slack line in a hurry.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

I think it is more a personal preference than anything else what ever rod you like best for your fishing style. I use a 5' 6" light rod for redears, If i'm using slip bobbers for crappie or walleye I like a M rod 6' 6" when trolling I prefer 7' 6" to 8' rods in MH. But again its just me I hate having a rod bent in half trying to land a fish. Also carry a 12' carp rod for tipping trees for crappies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

Good grief. It's bobber fishing, not rocket surgery. Anything will work.
Attached Images

Read your owner's manual.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

My wife and I very much enjoy fishing the west-side reefs of Lake Winnebago in the springtime with slip bobbers. It's relaxing to put out a spread of slips and just relax while waiting for a bobber to disappear. It doesn't get much better than that.

As others have commented, just about any rod will suffice for slip bobber fishing as there is relatively little to feel, as the bobber indicates the strike. I believe that most any spinning rod will work. I'm thinking that a light power, medium-light power or medium power rod will work equally well for me. I'm also thinking that a fast action is likely the sweet spot, even though an extra fast action or moderate action would work.

As Columbia pointed out, I wouldn't go very short in the rod length as it can be important to pick up slack line fast. When the bobber goes down, you may not know if the fish is just sitting there in place or is swimming towards or side-ways to you.

I happen to mostly use St. Croix AS66LF fishing rods for slip bobbering - not that they are critical for performance, but rather that I have several of them. I am very pleased with their performance!

Honestly, I believe that rods for slip bobber fishing is a place where you can save yourself some money and go with an inexpensive to moderate price fishing rod. Save the money not spent and put that towards a higher end fishing rod where performance in more important - e.g. a jigging rod.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Keeper

You would probably want a long moderate action rod to pick up slack and have a sweeping hook set.

I picked up Greg Bohn's books a couple years back. Lots of good info there. He is considered one of the better/best slip bobber walleye fishermen.

Books are Master the art of slip bobbering and Master the art of night slip bobbering
Old 03-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Minnow

Most any rod will work, a rod with larger guides near the tip allows the bobber stop to not hangup when casting. I'm a believer in circle hooks for walleyes, especially in deeper water.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM
Wallhanger

That Snoopy rod brings back memories. As a kid, I probably caught a thousand perch through the ice using an outfit just like that!

As far as slip bobbering and any rod will work, it’s a yes and no proposition. If the fishing is really easy, it’s like anything else in that most any rod would work. Ive seen guys with an old whippy ugly stick out jig guys with $400 SC Extra fast rods. If the fishing is tough, it gets a little more complicated.

Case in point, we do a lot of steelhead fishing in my neck of the woods using slip bobbers. Many days, you are lucky to get one or two take downs in an entire day. Trust me, with this kind of fishing, slip bobbers are down to a science from the rod and reel, line, leader, jig, hook, and bait. So again, it just depends on your situation.

As others have said, feel is not real important as the bobber is doing that work. Things to consider are a long rod to pick up slack, a higher speed reel to again pick up slack especially if the fish is running towards you, and a medium to light fast action (depending on how much weight you are using) that will help to cast the rig longer distances without the bait flying off if that is an issue in your specific circumstance.

There is probably no need to over think it for most walleye applications.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I just like a longer rod for bobber fishing, whether with slip bobber or regular bobber. 7-8 ft works great, i believe a longer rod is easier to take the slack, or if not using a slip bobber, just easier to cast. I make my own, so I really can't recommend a brand name.

Bill
Old 03-06-2019, 07:25 PM
Wallhanger

My fishing partner actually uses an 11 ft rod specifically designed for fishing steelhead with floats.