Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mono or Fluoro - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-05-2020, 05:18 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkerslayer View Post
Personally either braid with a 6’ fluorocarbon leader or mono. Jigging definitely braid and fluorocarbon leader
Bam, I'm with this guy! For no particular reason, I use 20# braid with a 12-14# fluorocarbon or PLine Floroclear leader with both my jigs and my spinner rigs. I take that back, I do have a reason. The thinner braided line catches up more in my spinning reels. I use lighter braided line on my crappie reels and I have a problem with them constantly catching up on me. I think 20# braid has the diameter of 6# mono. I'm fine with that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Ozark,

You can't be serious to say that comparing sand paper to wood and rocks is not valid.

Guess what, sand paper is rocks glued to paper.

If you like, you could repeat the test using a piece of sunken wood and then give us your results. You could also repeat the test when rubbing the line over a retrieved sunken boulder and see if there is any difference in test results.

But, I expect that the results will be identical.

One thing that is clear --- floro is more invisible in the water than any of the comparable monos.
Also, floro sinks more than mono.

But stretch and abrasion - I don't think that there is any advantage and may actually be at a disadvantage compared to mono.

As I have asked before. If you use 10 lb braid and a 6 lb leader made of either floro, or mono - can you get any difference in your fishing results or break off results?

But, if you prefer to buy and use floro, then by all means use it. Confidence when fishing is certainly a big part of the fishing game.

Take care
Old 01-06-2020, 05:46 PM
Wallhanger

Where is the beating of a dead horse emoji! If the flouro is less visible you can use a heavier leader, not a lighter one. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM
Wallhanger

Do a quick search of fluoro vs. mono and read the comparisons, REW's argument is quickly blown out of the water. If he likes using mono, I say go for it. But why does he spend so much time trying to convince others that fluoro is a waste of time and mono is the best line there is. Maybe he's a know it all, or maybe he just likes to argue.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I cant think of a proven reason to use Floro in the Tea/coffee colored waters of Canada.

Whats the point?
floro does/can break easier,
harder to make good knots,
stiffer,
costs more,
Likely will not improve catch rates,
more memory,

I have to find a good floro that's worth the time and expense.
I do think the walleye catch rate is higher using fluoro or mono leader with braid. It provides some stretch to the line which may prevent tearing a big hole in the fishes mouth and may keep line taut when fish suddenly moves so its not just the rod unbending keeping tension on the fish. So I think you don't lose as many fish.
In the stained Canadian waters I've fished, I think there is no difference in bite rate between braid and mono/fluoro. You definitely have better feedback from the jig when using braid, or braid/leader than from straight flour/mono. I used to not bother with using a fluoro or mono leader with my braided line because the braid was more abrasion resistant and less prone to breakage when snagged. Though braid can be bitten off by pike, it is much more resilient than either fluoro or mono against the teeth. I occasionally hook really good pike when walleye fishing so you're giving up something there when using fluoro/mono leader. Also sometimes the knot catching on an eyelet is annoying.
I started using the leader for the following reasons-
1) I think you lose fewer hooked fish
2) I think the sinking fluoro is better when using unweighted or lightly weighted presentations
3) Its easier to break off when you're hooked in a "death snag" with out cutting your fingers or breaking your rod
If I knew big pike were around, I would go to straight fluoro or tie a knotable steel leader to the braid.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Keeper

When I fished Canada I used mostly all mono but had one rod for Pike that had braid and a steel leader. Now if I go, I will use 10lb mono on all live bait rods and braid on crank rods.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:49 AM
Keeper

Is fishing with flouro a bit trickier? Sure. But you cannot debate its impact. All you need to look at are the professional fishing tours and see that the top fishermen in the world for basically any species utilize Flouro extensively. Does a 20 handicap golfer need a Titleist Pro V1 golf ball? No, but it doesn't change the fact it is the number one ball on tour and the best ball on the planet.

Personally, I go with flouro leaders. Less visible in the water and every little edge helps IMO. Especially when jigging.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

I have used Power pro with a flouro leader pretty much exclusively. The poster above me makes a really good point about the best in the world doing it all the time.

We got to fish with this guy for two days last year on Lake of the Woods, Jeff's home lake. Every time he caught a pike of any size he checked his braid and leader. He changed or cut down his leaders pretty much every time and cut down his braid twice because he could feel an abraision.

The interesting thing that was different was the length of the leader, he uses about 6' to save re tieing the leader. He said as long as it doesn't make into the reel all good. I use an alberto knot which takes maybe 45 seconds to tie, is very strong and tiny.

If Gussy uses the flouro leader fishing up here, seems like the rest of us should.

https://www.bassmaster.com/anglers/jeff-gustafson
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 01-13-2020, 05:38 AM
Wallhanger

I like jigging with 4'-5' of flouro on brade for sensitivity, but all options are the right answer. its Canada. I've even tied flouro to mono....mono was all we had for much of my life.

I do the flouro on brade things because I see a dramatic catch rate difference in crystal clear shallow salt water in FL so my confidence is increased...but all will work IMHO.

I do like the feel of braid in the guides.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 01-13-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Again, just don't see the need for a leader.
I use leader to add back a little stretch. A spool full of mono or fluoro has a lot of stretch. Braid has no stretch. I don't like either extreme, but 4-6' of leader added to braid adds a little tiny bit of stretch that really helps in many situations.

Also with a leader its easier to feel the abrasion then straight braid. I always snip off whatever abrasion I feel after every fish(and check it constantly). I like 6ft of leader and snip it a few times until it gets nearing 3ft, then replace.

I also like loop knots for most applications, especially jigging, braid is not so good for loop knots.

Over the years I have converted two older guys to braid and there is no doubt I was catching more walleyes with braid and a leader then they caught using straight mono. Obvious numbers. Were all about even now, setting the hook is so much easier for them now.

I also like the stiffness of fluoro(or mono), it keeps the lure from getting fouled up at the start of the retrieve which happens often if you are casting structure with straight braid.

I keep thinking of new reasons to use leader...hence the edits.

Last edited by mjayn; 01-13-2020 at 01:35 PM.