Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Moving to Roanoke, VA - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 02-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Keeper

Default Moving to Roanoke, VA

I am relocating from our West Fargo, ND RDC building and moving to our Roanoke, VA plant by the end of Summer early fall 2020. I want to know how the walleye fishing is in Claytor Lake Res just south and a little west of Roanoke. I now about the strippers in Smith Mountain Lake also. I am planning on keeping my 1900 Lund Pro V.

Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I have a friend that lives close to Claytor. He fishes for crappie mostly. I think they fish the river for walleye. I don't think the fishing is as good s it used to be. I haven't fished there, but I understand Philpott lake is pretty good for walleye. Do a search on youtube for Philpott lake walleye fishing. I've wanting to do a trip there myself. Kerr reservoir is a pretty popular place for stripers!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:07 PM
Wallhanger

You'll be fine. You'll probably have to fish deeper than your use to, but walleye are walleye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 02:05 PM
Keeper

Thanks Shellback for the tip for Philpott Lake. I have down riggers that I use on Sakakawea for Kings and can use them on the Lake Trout and I also like catching the small mouths. Now that I can use my boat year a round I maybe able to talk the better half into a new boat after the first year in VA.

Thanks a lot
Old 02-14-2020, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

OR, you may be so busy with your new job, home and your family that the boat stays dry and off the water. It is all about priorities. Family and income comes first.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoman View Post
I now about the strippers in Smith Mountain Lake also.
Amazing how a letter or 2 can change what you mean,,,,,,

HRG
Old 02-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Keeper

I fished nc, sc and tn alot, mostly for crappie. I brought my competitor and was great for the lakes, i found the best walleye fishing was dale hollow lake, tn which was 7 1/2 hours, but well worth it. There are huge walleyes in that lake. Nc has great crappie also if catching 15-17" crappie sounds good, but the techniques will be very new to you, but made friends with retirees that taught me the ropes of longlining and spider rigging. You are a days drive from one of the best striper fisheries in the nation also, lake murray, sc.

Last edited by micorps; 02-15-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Keeper

My wife and I are empty nesters so I should have some free weekends. I do like learning new methods of fishing.

And for the Strippers at Smith Mountain lake, I got a business card from one at the Sapphire in Vegas
Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Wallhanger

when i was in school in lychburg we fished the james river for smallies and the little river (claytor confluece) for walleye. only a few times but we did well. we hammered smallies in smith mountain lake.