Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova Mounting on a Ranger Reata - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Minnow

Default Terrova Mounting on a Ranger Reata

I am mounting a MK16 quick release bracket on my 2005 Ranger Reata and was wondering if most people mount the bracket directly to the fiberglass or do they place the rubber mounts between the fiberglass and the mount? Seems like the rubber mounts would provide some protection between the fiberglass and the metal mount. Will it not be rigid enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Wallhanger

You can use the washers, they will "squish" down enough that it won't take up much space.

I know you said the MK-16 bracket, but have you looked at the MKA-32 bracket? Quick release with a locking mechanism (not just a thumb set screw) and a plastic cover for when the TM is off the boat (like when you're skiing). Great bracket, used it on my last 2 Rangers and it works great!

However, you cannot move the TM inboard like you can with the MK-16 bracket. If you have a cover already, that can be an issue. If you are just ordering the boat or have no cover, it's moot.

Scott
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Minnow

Cast and Blast,
Have you used the washers yourself on your Ranger boats? If so did it flex too much. Was the mount rigid enough? Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, I used the flat black washers provided in the Minnkota parts (came with the motor) under the MKA-32 mount on my 690 and also on my 619. Works great, solid as a rock. There is a lot of "beef" to mount to on the bow of thes rigs - you'll be able to really crank down the bolts and that "squishes" the washes quite flat and thin.

Good luck!

Scott
Old 04-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Minnow

I did consider the MKA32 but nobody sells them in the Fargo/Moorhead area and I did not want to order something that I might return. Also I spoke with the Ranger dealer and they only use the MKA16. The MKA16 does line up with existing holes so that also seemed like the the best solution. I just bought the boat and I believe this is the third trolling motor to be mount. There is already 11 mounting holes drilled in the mounting area so the last thing I wanted to do was drill additional holes. Using the existing holes I only have about a 1/8" of clearance between rub strip and trolling motor shaft. The installation instructions call for 1 1/2" clearance, but it seems like it will work with much less. anyone else have this issue? Also using the existing mount holes places the trolling motor to the right of center about 2" to 3". Will this cause tracking issues with the boat?

Have your ever plugged old holes? If so how hard is it to do? Should I have a body shop perform this task?

Thanks for your replies as this is very helpful.

Paul

Tags
mk16 mounting , ranger , terrova , trolling motor