Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How Often Do You Go Fishing? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

Default How Often Do You Go Fishing?

The Interstate Battery thread got me thinking about how often I fish and wondering about other WC Members. As I stated the new normal for me is two, week long fishing trips, Canada and UP Michigan, and about ten single day trips on local water. That is boating fishing trips. I also surf fish here on the Alabama Gulf Coast ten times or so during the winter months.

How about you guys and gals????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 12:21 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

three to 4 day weekends 3 times a month May, June, July, August first 1/2 Sept. This year tossing in a one week Canada foray.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Usually 4-5x a week(soft water season), but all the wet days this spring have lowered the number of trips out so far(I do long-pole crappie fish by foot close to home between rain drops). I live on the water here at Indian Lake, so it's just a matter of going out the door & pushing the button on the boathouse to lower the Beater I-boat for a trip out. I seldom go out on the weekends and gave up trips to Erie now that I'm in my mid 70s...

Fishing w/buds is a fun social event, while
Angling is a serious skill-growth rung-climbing event with loads of self-improvement satisfaction w/each step... Hang a Hog, Not a Smelt

Ray da sUMo 'Chaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

When I lived 10 minutes from driveway to the Detroit River, at least 3-5 times per week from ice out to ice in, even if it was just casting the docks near the launch. I usually left the truck and boat hooked together and would park the car after work, jump in the truck and head to the launch. Longer trips on the weekends. Nearly every single day, weather permitting, during the fall walleye run on the River.

Now that I live in Northern MI, allot less. Descent walleye fishing is just to far away to go that often. I'll make the 75-120 mile round trip to fish every couple weeks now for big water trout or salmon, and occasionally walleye, and squeak in a couple trips in-between to the local lake a few minutes away to relax and troll for splake and fat smallies. This past Saturday was my first time fishing this year. Latest start to a fishing season ever for me. Even beyond the distance, I just don't have the fishing bug like I used to.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

I'll go any day in December - February when the temperature is expected to be in the 60's or higher, even if it requires a vacation day.

Beginning March through June, every weekend that my schedule, the weather, and lake levels allow me to get out. I'll even take a few vacation days during this period.

June - August, every Friday afternoon that does not have a 50% or greater chance of thunderstorms in the forecast, and every weekend that we don't already have something else planned. We may not fish during these months once water temps get above 85 degrees, but that doesn't stop us from going to the lake.

This year, 10 days in Canada - early to mid September.

October and November are reserved for archery hunting.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Wallhanger

Two weekends (some 3-4 day) a month up north May through October, one week in Canada, one week up north and some scattered trips locally and through the winter. When I'm retired it will be more until I physically can't do it.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

We've bumped our Canada trip up to 9 days in the past few years, excluding last year due to my wife having surgery. We ice fished several days in mid Jan and have been out 1-3x each weekend since our WI opener the 1st week of May. This will continue until deer season comes around, then we'll split our weekends between fishing and treestand time. It's a sickness.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:22 PM
Keeper

I spent about 3 months in Canada last year. Fish most days but rain and windy days took off.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Wallhanger

When the fish are here and weather permitting i fish every day. I use the odometer on my GPS and last year had roughly 1300 miles on my boat. Our fish are transitional fish so it is slow June,July and mid August. They start showing up mid august and we go hard. In the past I would go all the time but with the price of gas i only go when the fish are here. I was in Port Clinton for 14 days and fished 13 and only 4 times out here but have 350 miles on my boat.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

As much as possible

Usually 1 day a week minimum between May-September. I've only missed one weekend since ice out this year

Then annual scheduled trips:

A three day trip to Rainy in the spring.

A four day trip on Superior over Memorial.

Eight days on Lake Michigan in July.

Five Days at Isle Royale in August.

A three day trip to Ottertail in September.

A three day trip to Rainy in October.

Multiple 2-3-4 day weekends on the ice: Christmas, New Year's, etc

"If you're wise enough to wear a seatbelt in your truck.....you're wise enough to wear a life jacket in your boat....." (B-man)

Grady White 208 Hard-top 200 Yami
Lund Pro V 1660 60 HP Merc
Pro-Line 24 wa 250 Verado (sold)
Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
Ram 2500 Cummins

Last edited by B-man; 06-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.