Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mounting transducer on Pro V - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Minnow

Default Mounting transducer on Pro V

I have a 2017 Pro V 1875. I moved my transducer and HDS 7 Gen 2 to this boat from my old one. So far I have not been able to successfully adjust the transducer so that it reads well when traveling at speeds over 20 mph. At faster speeds it loses the bottom. I finally have moved the transducer deeper in the water than the Lowrance instructions say and it is a little better than when mounted 'correctly'. However, it still loses bottom if I am going straight, but reconnects with the bottom if I steer either a very small amount either left or right. All it takes is just a very small steerage one way or the other. I originally thought the rivets on the bottom of the hull at the transom might be the problem, but I have not heard of anyone else having the problems I've had. I've tilted the transducer forward a little and a lot and still have problems. Sorry for the rambling, but I've tried about everything I could think of. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 06:57 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npkman View Post
I have a 2017 Pro V 1875. I moved my transducer and HDS 7 Gen 2 to this boat from my old one. So far I have not been able to successfully adjust the transducer so that it reads well when traveling at speeds over 20 mph. At faster speeds it loses the bottom. I finally have moved the transducer deeper in the water than the Lowrance instructions say and it is a little better than when mounted 'correctly'. However, it still loses bottom if I am going straight, but reconnects with the bottom if I steer either a very small amount either left or right. All it takes is just a very small steerage one way or the other. I originally thought the rivets on the bottom of the hull at the transom might be the problem, but I have not heard of anyone else having the problems I've had. I've tilted the transducer forward a little and a lot and still have problems. Sorry for the rambling, but I've tried about everything I could think of. Ideas?
I can't get my Helix 10 high speed to work either; it's the craziest thing I've ever encountered on any vehicle, boat, or trailer I've had in my 46 years of life.

I'm just going to leave it as is and only boat fast where I know the bottom. At idle it works perfect of course. It really is a shocking thing; and I have no dealer I'd trust with a potato gun anywhere near me. Especially my selling dealer.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:14 AM
Wallhanger

Default Could you?

Post a photo of the back of the boat, shot forward and then the side showing the angle and relationship to the bottom.

Also could you tell us the type of transducer!!! Assuming it is a 83-200 skimmer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npkman View Post
I have the same boat with Helix 9. Have exactly the same issues & tried raising, lowering, tilting.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Slot Fish

I have a 2016 1875 Pro V with a Helix 12 Mega. I mounted the Mega transducer and a high speed transducer on a transom saver block.The Helix Machines will automatically switch transducers depending on what screen you are on.When I am traveling at high speed I switch to the sonar screen and I can read bottom very well even up to top speed of around 48 MPH.The key is to make sure your transducers are not lined up with a row of rivets and the High Speed transducer needs to be just skimming the water at high speed.I have my Mega transducer just above the bottom of the boat as I don’t really use that one when I am traveling at high speed.Make sure the angle of the transducers are close to how your boat will run when your moving at slow speed (mega transducer) and when your running at high speed (high speed transducer).It took me a couple times on the water and using the small level method to get angles set. Getting the angles set correctly makes a huge difference. Also, if you have a transom saver block, make sure it is even with the bottom of the boat.If not, get some good silicone caulk and put a bead of caulk under the saver so the water slides over it and it will create less turbulence under the board (mistake I made).I will take a few pictures tonight and post them this weekend. It takes a little time, but you will get it.
Minn Kota Ulterra W/Mega DI and I-Pilot Link

Last edited by rootdl; 09-29-2017 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 AM
Minnow

Im trying to attach some pictures of how it is set up now. Yes it is the 83/200 transducer that came with the Lowrance. I did move the mount side to side to make sure it wasn't in line with a row of rivets. Think I'll try the silicone on mounting board as well.

Can't seem to attach more than one pic at a time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	274113  
Old 09-29-2017, 07:24 AM
Minnow

Second image. Hope this helps! Thanks for input
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	274121  
Old 09-29-2017, 08:43 AM
Slot Fish

My opinion - I think the transducer needs to be moved down a little and the angle needs to be changed. The tail (non connecting end) needs to be lifted up a little. When the boat is up on plain, the bow is lifted so your transducer is not close to level in the water - if that makes sense. What I did to get a good starting point is I leveled the boat with the tongue jack and then leveled the transducer to match the boat then you can make sure the middle of the transducer on the high side is even or just below the bottom of the boat. I would also put a bead of caulk on the bottom side of the transducer saver and smooth it out. I did the same thing - the saver was not even with the bottom of the boat. That did help!
Minn Kota Ulterra W/Mega DI and I-Pilot Link

Last edited by rootdl; 09-29-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:45 AM
Wallhanger

X2

"The tail (non connecting end) needs to be lifted up a little."

I also agree with the recommended method of determining a 'starting point' for the transducer.

Let us know how this changes the performance.

JDP
John Peterson
Woodbury, MN
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM
Minnow

I will try lifting the tail of the transducer again with your suggestion after I smooth the bottom with a bead of caulk. I previously did not have that much tilt in the transducer and it did not work. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out after these changes. Unfortunately some things have come up and it might be while before I am able to get back on the water. Thanks again.