Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
'Boat Scale' Setting On Ulterra - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Minnow

Default 'Boat Scale' Setting On Ulterra

Can anyone tell me exactly what adjusting the 'boat scale' settings on Ulterra i-Pilot does? I see that several people relate boat scale to improving the spot lock functionality by not over shooting etc. I have been disappointed with the sluggish ramp up speed of the motor as compared to my old Terrova. I understand that the rapid speed up of earlier models bothers some people, but I find the very sluggish motor response causes problems - especially with a little wind and rocks in the area.

Does changing the 'boat scale' setting simply increase the responsiveness of the trolling motor - and isn't just related to spot lock performance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

It is explained here, on page 68.... https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...335.1518517017
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 5.42.26 AM.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	305048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 5.43.19 AM.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	305050  
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Old 10-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Keeper

Juls, I am running a 621 as well. What setting do you use?
Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclawman View Post
Juls, I am running a 621 as well. What setting do you use?
Thx
I've just kept it on "0" and it works fine for me.
NPAA#89

Supporting Vendor
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
JulsWalleyeFishingAdventures.com
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Keeper

Default ramp up speed

There is also a setting to change the ramp up speed when you want to avoid rocks or docks. I don't have my book, but I know I changed mine when I got it. It just wasn't responsive enough for me. Took way to long to start up when I needed to move quickly. I do understand why it is there. If you accidentally step hard on the peddle, with 112# thrust, it could whip the front of the boat around so fast, you might be thrown out of the front. It took a little playing with, but I did find a happy medium.

I would bet it is right around the same pages as Juls posted.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Front Illinois View Post
There is also a setting to change the ramp up speed when you want to avoid rocks or docks. I don't have my book, but I know I changed mine when I got it. It just wasn't responsive enough for me. Took way to long to start up when I needed to move quickly. I do understand why it is there. If you accidentally step hard on the peddle, with 112# thrust, it could whip the front of the boat around so fast, you might be thrown out of the front. It took a little playing with, but I did find a happy medium.

I would bet it is right around the same pages as Juls posted.

I may have the terms wrong, but if I remember correctly, I adjusted the ramp up speed to change how quickly the motor responds from the head starting to turn left or right when you want to make turn from a dead stop, and also I was able to adjust how quickly the prop starts to turn when you push the peddle to turn left or right.

Does that make it any clearer?
Old 10-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Minnow

Yes Cold Front that is what I am asking for. It just takes too long from when the motor is activated to when it has enough power to move you. I'll try the boat scale adjustment but the referenced user manual doesn't really explain what the boat scale adjustment does - except it adjusts for boat weight (I assume by ramping up power slower or more quickly?) thanks for response everyone.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Npkman View Post
Yes Cold Front that is what I am asking for. It just takes too long from when the motor is activated to when it has enough power to move you. I'll try the boat scale adjustment but the referenced user manual doesn't really explain what the boat scale adjustment does - except it adjusts for boat weight (I assume by ramping up power slower or more quickly?) thanks for response everyone.
I don't think the scale is what you are looking for. I really still don't understand what the scaling would do.

There is another setting in the remote that I adjusted. I don't have my boat at home but I may be around it Monday and look for that setting and what it is called.

It just may take a call to the Minn Kota tech to get to where you can adjust it, but I know I was able to do it. I just replaced my 24 volt Ulterra with a 36 volt Ulterra and I have to do it again. So if you find it and how to do it could you post it?

To me, it is a timing adjustment from when you push a button or the foot pedal to the time the motor responds. Mine too was very slow to react, but I did get it adjusted to my liking.

Thanks
Craig
Old 10-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Minnow

Thought I would provide an update to my earlier postings on the performance of my 80 Ulterra BT.

After asking about the 'boat scale' settings on the 80 Ulterra BT (on a 1875 Lund Pro V), I was finally able to take my boat out and see what the boat scale settings do. Changing the settings does affect how the boat responds when the spot lock is engaged. Changing to positive 1 or 2 made the motor over active and moved the boat around a lot and was very evident when the water was flat calm. Changing to negative 1 or 2 had the opposite effect. I am looking for a way to make the boat more responsive (quicker to respond) when engaging the trolling motor, increasing the speed or kicking into high speed bypass. Changing the 'boat scale' settings had no effect in this regard. Minn Kota tech support indicated they knew of no way to address this issue.

I really like the Ulterra BT but it is slow to respond if a quick change in direction/speed is needed because of wind, rocks, docks, etc. My previous Terrova was much more responsive. I have visited with others who have the same opinion.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Wallhanger

Had a thought about your slow to respond statement. Does it act differently if you you use the foot pedal rather than the remote? Was thinking if the BT could be slowing the situation down. Maybe poor reception? Bob