Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ford Super Duty oil change? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 11-20-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Simply put, if a vehicle has enough clearance for your body you can slide under it and change the oil.

But, by and large, I never even attempt it.

I would rather have the engine pan further from me as I work on the under side of the vehicle to do anything including - changing the oil and filter.

Best wishes.

With a large truck, I would buy a pair of heavy duty ramps that will take the weight of the vehicle and use the ramps, any time that you need to be under the vehicle.
Of course, any time that a vehicle is up on jack stands or a ramp then the end of the vehicle that is not elevated should have wheel chocks on each side of the wheels that are still on the ground.

I lost a brother because a vehicle fell on him while he was working on it without using the recommended safety precautions and I will never ever forget that safety always comes first with respect to use of appropriate sized jack stands, appropriate sized ramps and vigilant use of wheel chocks to insure that the vehicle does not roll forward or back. Never rely only on vehicle brakes or locking up the transmission to stop the vehicle from rolling.

Be safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2021, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Simply put, if a vehicle has enough clearance for your body you can slide under it and change the oil.

But, by and large, I never even attempt it.

I would rather have the engine pan further from me as I work on the under side of the vehicle to do anything including - changing the oil and filter.

Best wishes.

With a large truck, I would buy a pair of heavy duty ramps that will take the weight of the vehicle and use the ramps, any time that you need to be under the vehicle.
Of course, any time that a vehicle is up on jack stands or a ramp then the end of the vehicle that is not elevated should have wheel chocks on each side of the wheels that are still on the ground.

I lost a brother because a vehicle fell on him while he was working on it without using the recommended safety precautions and I will never ever forget that safety always comes first with respect to use of appropriate sized jack stands, appropriate sized ramps and vigilant use of wheel chocks to insure that the vehicle does not roll forward or back. Never rely only on vehicle brakes or locking up the transmission to stop the vehicle from rolling.

Be safe
I lost a good friend that was only 18 yrs old when a jack failed. he was working in a body shop when he was out in the lot removing a used part alone. he never used stands trying to save a little time. the jack fell trapping him underneath leaving him to smother to death. by the time he was missed and someone went to check on him it was to late.

it's so simple to drive up on a set of ramps and they're so cheap to buy anymore. why not use them?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:25 AM
Wallhanger

agree with the ramps but like 1 poster said if you can crawl under no problem but go ahead and put on ramps and chocks anyway makes 0 sense!! i crawl under mine no problem plus i want the old oil to burn with but why put the rig in the air if you don't have too, if you have to go to all that trouble for getting your rig in the air for a simple oil change its not worth your life and saving 20 bucks
Old 11-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNorth View Post
For those of you who have a 250 or 350 6.7 diesel are you able to slide under a stock non lifted suspension truck without raising it on ramps or a lift to do an oil change? I was curious.

Thanks

FN
I have a 2019 with 20" rims. I'm a round guy.... and I can fit in there to change the oil no worries. I also place a bucket under the oil pan - 3-4 gallon bucket fits nicely. No issues and filter is easy to change as well.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:06 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeman_1 View Post
I have a 2019 with 20" rims. I'm a round guy.... and I can fit in there to change the oil no worries. I also place a bucket under the oil pan - 3-4 gallon bucket fits nicely. No issues and filter is easy to change as well.
Thanks Eyeman. I lost un uncle under a car, left a definite impression on me. I would rather not “lift” the truck with a jack, ramps if I don't have to that is why I asked the question in the first place. That being said, if I have to I will, I take all the precautions if I have to raise a vehicle by what ever means.

FN
Old 11-24-2021, 06:29 PM
Slot Fish

I built ramps out of staggered length 2x8's stacked 4 high and screwed together. I do not trusted the stamped steel ramps. My wood ramps cannot collapse and as long as the tires are centered side to side, the vehicle will not slide over sideways.