Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat leans to the right - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 11-24-2021, 05:02 PM
Minnow

Default Boat leans to the right

Its like all the weight is on right side. I dont mean steers to the right when on plane. Any ideas on why this would be? I do know prop is not the correct one as WOT rpm’s is only 4200 but dont think too large prop would make boat lean to the right. Thx for help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Wallhanger

A little more description of the boat and its configuation...motors, batteries, other extras. What hull? What year?
Old 11-25-2021, 07:50 AM
Wallhanger

Prop torque will most always make boat lean down on left. Things to try, raise engine, 4 blade prop, lower pitch prop. Too much prop can slightly cause lean, but probably opposite of yours. You really have given us too little of info to go on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

to start with you are way over propped. at only 4200 rpm's you probably need to drop about 6 degrees at least. it would really help to know your max rpm on that motor.

as for the boat leaning to one side, it is usually how the boat is loaded gas tank batteries trolling motor and batteries and live wells. all the extra weight is on the lower side. and you didn't mention if you have a kicker motor.

just not enough info to help you out much.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:29 AM
Keeper

weigh boat compare it to dry weight + gear. if more than 100 or so pounds off the mark it might be holding water under floor in the foam when every thing else is good this is the most common cause
Old 11-25-2021, 12:05 PM
Wallhanger

The first thing you should do is get a lower pitch prop such that the motor is in the upper end of its rated rpm band at WOT with what you consider a light load. The wrong prop can indeed cause the boat to lean a bit. I ran into this on a rig which ran a 21 pitch prop when I decided to try a different design prop from a friend which had 27 inch pitch. I was more interested in how the prop design worked rather than the pitch- but it definitely picked up a lean to the right.

The second thing to check is if the engine is centered on the boat bottom at the stern. It should centered within 1/4 inch measuring at the lower unit on the motor relative to the keel line of the boat. Fast boat riggers actually use lasers to check this to make sure the motor is centered nearly perfect to the keel center.

The third thing to check is loading. Many boats are set up at the factory to run with live wells filled- and if you run them empty the boat will pull to the heavy side. This is an issue on my boat where I run with empty live wells. I took all my gear and put everything with any weight in the plugged-off livewells which helped quite a bit. Again, with high performance boats running 80+ mph it is not unusual to put a sand bag in the boat to make it run level with just the driver in the boat to avoid chine walk at high speeds. If you have a kicker motor it should be mounted on the left side if possible.

I suggest you swap props, check off the above items, and repost how the rig is working.
Doug
Old 11-25-2021, 06:08 PM
Minnow

Default Gonna be a long road

Just got this "project boat". Its a 1996 PrinceCraft 196 SuperPro. 19'4" beam is 94" Evinrude is 150 of about same year. These can be a whale of a boat, but this one has a ways to go. I knew prop wasn't correct even before putting on water first time. Thats probably place to start - but only part of the problem. Gonna be a long road as I don't have much time to work on it and winter is here. Of the above responses, all are of course possible, but I'm guessing most probable would be the foam under floor has water in it. There is a leakage issue that I was aware of when I purchased it. Pretty sure I can fix that, but what about the foam under floor? Floor have to come up and foam ripped out? Or give it a lot of time with bow up and plug out? How do I even tell if there is H2o in foam? I saw the response that said weight the boat and compare to dry weight. Progress gonna be slow on this deal and will ask more questions....appreciate the advice.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Wallhanger

Sorry to say once the foam is waterlogged the floor has to come out, remove old foam and replace with new. You say it has leaking issues , if you're replacing rivets you can tell if the foam is wet when you drill out the rivets. Is your floor soft? Sounds like you have a pretty big project on the horizon. Good luck with it, let us know how it turns out
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 11-26-2021, 05:08 AM
Minnow

Floor is not soft. How do u tell if need to replace rivets? They become loose? Water getting in hull is from another issue
Old 11-27-2021, 10:53 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowNSteady View Post
Floor is not soft. How do u tell if need to replace rivets? They become loose? Water getting in hull is from another issue
In my case the rivets were already epoxied over in a bad attempt to seal. A few of them had popped the epoxy and one was even missing so it was easy to see with the naked eye which ones were bad.
A way to see if your rivets leak is to start filling your hull with water. You'll see it drip it out . Just be cautious as water weighs 8lbs a gallon, you don't want to overload the trailer. A method you can do is have bow tilted up, fill up the boat then slowly lower with your tongue jack, dissipating the water across the bottom from back to front. As you slowly lower, look for drips, circle the leakers with marking crayon, drill out carefully ( use punch to start center hole) use blind aluminum sealed rivets and i coat the rivet with a little 5200 for added insurance.
Just in case you ever have to do it.

In your case the floor is still solid. Maybe you could remove an in floor storage compartment to get a look at the foam? Sorry I'm not familiar with that model. If it were me I'd even find a space maybe under dash or seats and get a long drill bit and drill through floor into foam. Of course becareful not to puncture hull, but some foam should come up with bit removal, you'll know if its wet. Fill pilot holes with epoxy
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees