Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Looking at a used Lund - what do you ask? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 05-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Minnow

Default Looking at a used Lund - what do you ask?

Going to look at a used lund Crossover. it's 3 years old. Here's my list of questions/asks:
1. Can I get a sea trial?
2. What year is the trolling motor - spot lock, gps?
3. compression test??
4. Impeller replaced?
5. Water pump replaced?
6. bearings good? greased?
7. Condition of batteries? do they hold a charge?
8. where was it stored?
9. do electronics work as expected?
10. Any damage to the structure, floors, etc?
11. TRANSOM condition? Is it possible to test for rot?

What am I missing? This would be a consignment sale. it's listed at under 50 hours of use. Would a survey be overkill on a 19 foot boat? how much does that typically cost?

I'm freaking out a little here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Ask about remaining factory warranty's. If you buy do the warranty transfers immediately before you forget.

Signed and notarized bill of sale if they don't have the title on hand.

I wouldn't worry to much about the hull mechanical stuff. Pumps ect. Thats all easily fixable. Be sure the bottom of the boat and motor show no signs of a impact. I wouldn't worry about a survey but I would INSIST on a on water test. There is no reason not to do one.

Good luck!!
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM
Minnow

thank you. I agree I may be going overboard with some of this stuff. Just trying to make sure I don't forget about something stupid as this would be my first purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Wallhanger

I've made a bit of a hobby out of flipping boats. All of them have been older than what you are considering, but the principals are still the same.

Water test is a great idea. But all of the boats I have bought I just run on the hose.

If it is a dealer, they might do a compression test. A private party won't.

Unless they have paperwork of axle service and impeller being changed, plan on doing that yourself. Batteries are probably the same.

Run the engine on a hose (or at the lake), and check the engine oil (assuming it is a 4 stroke). Make sure it doesn't look like a milk shake.

Take the drain plug out of the housing on the lower unit to check the gear lube. That screw should be magnetic and you can check to make sure there aren't any metal shavings on it. Also check to see how clean/clear it is.

Honestly, there shouldn't be a lot to worry about with a 3 year old boat.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:14 AM
Minnow

I hope you're right RMB. I'm hoping this thing is as clean as it looks in the pictures. 3-4 year old boat with less than 50 hours sounds too good to be true. Hoping the 3 hour drive will be worth it.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Minnesota guy View Post

Signed and notarized bill of sale if they don't have the title on hand.

Good luck!!
I showed this to my wife who retired last year after working 12 years at a deputy registrars office. She got a good laugh out of this line.
On a titled boat the state of MN will not accept a bill of sale (notarized or not) to transfer ownership of a boat.
Under 16' and untitled a bill of sale is OK.
She always hated the week before fishing opener and several people would come in the register their boats, then go ballistic when they found out nothing could be done without a title. There used to be work a rounds but for the past 10 years or so boat transfers in border states are run through Homeland Security and they closed a lot of loopholes.
If you are buying from the owner of record and they lost the title they need to apply for a duplicate title, if they are not the owner of record it will take months of paperwork and research to get a new title from the MN DNR
Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Minnow

for the record this is in Illinois
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Land of 10,000 lakes, even more taxes and the state where the police are handcuffed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
I showed this to my wife who retired last year after working 12 years at a deputy registrars office. She got a good laugh out of this line.
On a titled boat the state of MN will not accept a bill of sale (notarized or not) to transfer ownership of a boat.
Under 16' and untitled a bill of sale is OK.
She always hated the week before fishing opener and several people would come in the register their boats, then go ballistic when they found out nothing could be done without a title. There used to be work a rounds but for the past 10 years or so boat transfers in border states are run through Homeland Security and they closed a lot of loopholes.
If you are buying from the owner of record and they lost the title they need to apply for a duplicate title, if they are not the owner of record it will take months of paperwork and research to get a new title from the MN DNR
I wasn't concerned about getting it titled. My mother bought a motorhome on consignment. The dealer said he would send the title along. Guess what? He pocketed the money and didn't pass it along to the seller. The seller naturally wouldn't give up the title without the money. So my mother had a untitled motorhome. The seller had a missing motorhome. The dealer had the money.

So, you just start the litigation process. A notarized bill of sale just gives you one more piece of paper to use if you need to sue somebody. Just one less story the dealer can tell the courts.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:36 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billebob5 View Post
for the record this is in Illinois
Bro , Illinois is worse to deal with.

First make sure this consignment place is real. I was all set to pull the trigger on a too good to be real consignment deal on a Lund Tyee. And i almost did it but my spidey sense was tingling too much. The fact they wouldn't take any form of payment besides wire transfer was the nail in the coffin and I walked away. Couple weeks later a bunch of complaints were reported about this consignment place which looked legit, great web page, timely emails, etc. But they were con artists, only accepted wire transfer was a big red flag.

Also I would never buy, ever, ever without title in hand. The hoops to jump through are way too numerous if deal goes sideways.

Please do yourself a favor and research the place heavily, hate to see you be scammed.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Minnow

thanks! it's at a marina that has been in business for 50 years but you're absolutely right about doing a little more research. The deal isn't "too good to be true" but it's in my wheelhouse. Seems legit but will be doing a lot of Google work tonight.