Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Baitcaster Reel for Swimbaits - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 01-18-2021, 08:14 AM
Minnow

Default Baitcaster Reel for Swimbaits

Howdy,

My main question is what reel would you recommend to handle the baits (1.5-3 oz) and line type/lb?

The reels I've looked at are the Tatula 200 and Curado K 200. Would these be reels that will handle the job and also be easier for someone new to baitcasters? Looking to stay around $200 max per reel. Looking for any information, experience and thoughts!

I'm new to baitcasters but getting 2 set-ups for some 1.5 oz - 3 oz swimbaits. Mainly looking at tossing the Rapala Peto/Otus for some pike, bass and walleye.

Rods - Going to try out St. Croix Mojo Swimbait rod and Legend Tournament Bass for rods.

Thanks so much for your time and input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2021, 11:23 AM
Slot Fish

GMOTW_FISHING:

I sent you a private message.

Buffalo Fishhead
Old 01-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Wallhanger

For throwing larger baits like the ones you mentioned, I'd skip the low profile reels and go old school with a round baitcasting reel like the Abu Garcia Ambassadeur. It's not like the smaller low profile reels can't handle it, but that's exactly why the Ambassadeur was the king of the market not that many years ago. I have several and love them for throwing the larger baits (over 1 oz), and they are definitely a workhorse. Something to consider...