Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fish cleaning/game cleaning station - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Wallhanger

Default Fish cleaning/game cleaning station

Have an old patio table that I was thinking of making into a fish/game cleaning station. So, I am looking for some ideas of what you guys use. If you have pics, that would be great. I am currently using the tailgate of my truck, which works OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I have a one piece stainless steel sink with drainboard and use a starboard like cutting board. This is in an outbuilding and works great for me unless the fish is a hog. I like not having bugs to contend with.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I use the tailgate of my truck.

With my fish cleaning board with a spring
clamp on both ends.
Similar to the picture but larger.
That way I can use it when I am not at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fyVMtP8A.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	14633  

Last edited by kliph; 03-25-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Wallhanger

When we built my house the contractor built me a table with locking wheels. In winter I roll it up next to the sink and in nice weather I roll it out on the driveway and hose it off when done.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...pictureid=8068

Put this on the side of my shed at camp.Folds up and out of the way when not in use.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Charter Member

I've mounted that milk white cutting board material (1/2" thick) on an old ironing board. Cutting board is 16" wide by 54" long (rectangle, not shaped like the ironing board). Mounted the cutting board to the ironing board from bottom side of ironing board w/ stainless screws.

I then cut off a piece of 6" (i.d.) pvc pipe approx 1/4" thick (half the thickness of your cutting board material). I then cut a hole the diameter of the inside of the PVC pipe in one end of the cutting board. Then I rabbited/dadoed a hole above that hole the outside diameter of the PVC ring mentioned above. Now you should be able to set the PVC ring cut previously into a rabbited hole in the cutting board. The pvc ring should be level with the surface of the cutting board.

Now all you need is a couple garbage bag liners or plastic grocery bags for fish waste. Wrap the pvc ring around the top of the garbage bag or grocery bag, set it in the rabbited hole and slide your walleye carcass/guts into the bag as you fillet your fish.

I'll have to take some photos and post as pictures are worth a few hundred words I'm guessing. OH! also mounted one of those fish cleaning clamps at the opposite end of the hole I drilled in the cutting board. works slick when the fish cleaning stations are not open or when there is no fish cleaning station.

And did I mention that it folds up and stows away using very little space. Very nice portable fish cleaning station. Take it wherever you want to.

Only thing I don't like about it, is it is a little top heavy. But then too it is height adjustable. New ironing boards are light and even worse for being top heavy. Try to find an old one that was made out of heavier metal.

Do what I did. Steal the wife's old one and go buy her a new one.

Last edited by Ristorapper; 03-26-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

You could purchase a board or two of the plastic composite decking and lay that down as the top of your table. You could join them up so that they are nearly seemless and its a not like a kitchen cutting board. You could then cut a hole in the top and mount a few brackets or hooks to hold a bag.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

The perfect cleaning table is an adjustable height 2X4 foot plastic topped table. You can get these from Home Depot for about $80

I have several of these around the house and use them all of the time for various projects. I have one in the garage, and when cleaning fish, I just set it up at the door of the garage so that I can clean fish in the shade.
I have a bucket for fish on one side, and a bucket for fillets on the other side. Then, bucket for entrails on the 2nd side as well. When done, I use the garden hose to wash down the table and rinse off the drive way for anything not hitting the bag.

The nice thing about using the plastic topped table is that the tables are nice and light, fold flat, adjust in height, and you never need a separate cutting or knife board when cleaning fish.

I have use many other methods in the past, but have since discarded all of the other methods as much less satisfactory than the simple folding table.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...eyword=folding table&storeId=10051

I prefer the T legs on the table. The T legs make a much sturdier base than the four separate legs found on some tables.
Also, the Lifetime tables have a full steel frame that runs through the edges and ends of the tables so that there is never any sagging in the center or ends of the tables.

Not height adjustable or T legged, but less expensive:
http://menards.com/main/home-decor/f...931-c-7726.htm

If you don't need the size, this smaller personal table with adjustable height and T legs can make an excellent fish cleaning table for under $20.
http://menards.com/main/home-decor/f...932-c-7726.htm

REW
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

If you don't need the size, this smaller personal table with adjustable height and T legs can make an excellent fish cleaning table for under $20.
http://menards.com/main/home-decor/f...932-c-7726.htm

REW

I inherited one exactly like this one and it definately is not a fillet station for one to use if standing while filleting. Unless you have a good back....
Old 03-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Wallhanger

I saved a huge piece of glass from a coffee table my buddy was throwing out probably 4 ft long, I empty my 120quart cooler out and put the glass on top and just use that I sit on a 5 gallon bucket with a pad you would take in the woods, works okay the fish get slippery but boy does the glass make for easy cleanup just hose it off every few fish. I do want to get a table eventually just haven't made the time, I can set up and put it away in 10 seconds. Ican fillet perch or eyes for hours and not get a back ache because I'm low to the ground on the bucket I'm not bending over to reach.

The tables that REW posted work great but will be too low I would imagine if your tall,ideally you want one just lower than mid chest height just like you see at a fish cleaning station.