Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Second Real Boat, zeroing in... want a SC!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 01-26-2021, 10:16 PM
Slot Fish

Default Second Real Boat, zeroing in... want a SC!!

You folks have always been so helpful when I lay all my issues on the table so here we go again.
Current Rig: 2000 Lund Fisherman 1800 150 Vmax
Looking to buy used 5-10 years old 18-21', under 25k(ish)

I used to think that the windshield would be great for the family but after several years of fishin trips with the girls I've found out that we only fish in PERFECT conditions so it's a moot point being protected from the elements
I fish... A LOT, mostly casting/jigging and some trolling. Fish a few tournaments a year and bad weather is bad weather...it's gonna suck regardless and we'll deal with it.

Anyways, I've become enamored with the idea of a single console. I just love the idea of having all that extra room in the boat. I think it sets up perfectly for what I'm looking for...run out to the spot, throw the trolling motor down and get to fishin. I don't really need any more than that.
Here's what I'm thinking.
I LOVE the idea of the jump seats in the back of the Lund Impact 1875...when you're not using em it's a big ol casting platform!! I believe there's the same set up in some older models of the Lund Explorer as well. So tell me what I'm missing and what I'm not considering.
Here's what I'm looking at and looking for:
Lund Impact SS
Lund Explorer
Lund Predator
Ranger or Yarcraft w/SC but those usually ain't in my price range.
I like Alumacraft and I saw a 15 year old Starcraft a little while ago and was really impressed with it's solid build but I'm not sure they offer anything of decent size in the SC
Of course I'm still open a big windshield like a 20' ProV but it may not be reasonable in my price range.
Partial to Yamaha but we can't always get what we want
I know we're in the down season of boat buyin but when things start to heat up in the spring I'll need to pounce...and maybe drive to the middle of the country
If there are any sweet 18'6"-21" SC boats out there that I should be looking for let me know!!
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

My first big boat was an 1895 Yarcraft SC with a hot 225 Optimax. Loved the boat and to be honest it was probably one of the best pure fishing boats I've had the pleasure to use. Baitwells in front and rear, big front and rear livewells, nice rod shelf, good storage and the open layout was great. It didn't bother me running down the water a 60 mph but unfortunately it sucked for everyone else! I have had 3 windshields boats since, and have no intention of going back. Although the windshield does take some room it simply makes the ride to and from your fishing locations so much more enjoyable. With that said, I'm not afraid to run 15-35 miles one way so a comfortable ride means something to me.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 AM
Minnow

I own a 1775 impact sport which is the full windshield. I would have preferred the ss model which is a side console but my wife had a say and we bought the sport model.
The full windshield is more family friendly as a family boat as we take friends out with their children quite often, not necessarily fishing but just anchoring on a sandbar and swimming. Also offers a lot of storage in that extra console The sun top is really nice in those hot summer days, stops the baking in the sun.
IMO the side console is better for just pure fishing. It offers much more room and that big windshield doesnít get in the way when trolling or even casting. I would still keep an option of some sort of Bimini top for those scorching hot days.
As for the convertible casting platform, I would not order it again. Yes it does give you a nice large rear casting platform when down but it is a hindrance when it is up. First off I put it up when Iím using my downriggers as it makes it easier and safer to access the downriggers as you are not standing on the raised platform. It also makes my rear live well unusable as it covers it. The front live well isnít big enough to keep a large salmon so I have to bring an extra cooler. I would much prefer the XS model with no convertible platform but the two extra seats built right into the rear deck. You lose the casting platform but your large live well is accessible and using downriggers is easier.
So in a nutshell, for pure fishing, I would go for a side console with no convertible platform but a Bimini top is a must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Wallhanger

Just saw wc. Has a 2008 Ranger 1850 vs single console 175 e tech for 26000. North Dakota boat
Old 01-27-2021, 10:17 AM
Wallhanger

1860 angler vs
Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

If you're looking for a side console, take a look at the Polar Craft( Bobby Winds is smiling) Outlander series. Not only do they offer side console but also a center console option that really opens up the boat.
I have seen these boats first hand and they look pretty nice. Might be worth a look.
Minn kota 72" 112lb 36v Terrova
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance autopilot
Navico Precision-9
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
Lowrance 3d
2 72" Traxtech tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
8 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 01-27-2021, 10:56 AM
Wallhanger

Since you are looking used. Do not overlook the duel bubble setups. Less in the way then a full windshield. Blocks some wind for the passengers. Depending on what top speed your new boat could do. Even on a nice day. Going 35 to 40 mph Is allot of wind for most people. My guess is the passenger seat would be rotated back most of the time with a side console only. Some passengers like to look out the front while moving fast. Since you said 18 to 21 I would vote for double bubble. If you had said under 18 foot boat. I would look at side console only boat also.

Last edited by Snowking; 01-27-2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Go with a tiller or a single console.

Your choice of brands and motors.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:27 PM
Wallhanger

There are a couple of yar craft tillers on wc.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:31 AM
Slot Fish

Thanks a ton for the input guys. I'm not sure that I'm man enough for a tiller just yet but it's something to consider.
I really do value your input and help. It's looking like, especially at my 25ish price point that I will just have to be patient and the strike fast when the insane boat market kicks off again in the spring. But...keeping my eyes peeled until then!!