Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sonar storage in winter? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 10-13-2021, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

One or two simple to operate gimble knobs/push buttons per unit, if you can't cause they are in-dash so be it....but if you can, why wouldn't you?

The effort spent typing most of these replies is more effort than most would exert removing a sonar head unit! LOL

Sorry I just do get why this is even a topic that requires discussion......cause it's just so easy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Wallhanger

OK, There are risks we all take, $3 to 4K is what many units cost. If they are not built in, take them off unless you are willing to pay the $1k or so for a new touch screen monitor. Lcd's mostly will store ok warmer than 14 below for a period of time. Circuit boards can crack in similar temps. the longer those temps are around the riskier it is. Most transducers are found to be bad at the beginning of a season.(cracks from wacking waves will let a bit of water in tiny cracks and a hard freeze might do them in). I have never pulled a transducer off, but they are only a few hundred to replace. Balance the effort to the cost. I have not had to worry for16 years of not getting to zero. To each his own. JMO Bob
Old 10-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Wallhanger

I never brought mine inside all winter and we get sub zero temps in NNY. But honestly, there really is no reason to not bring them inside. Maybe if it is a flush mount, leave it in.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2021, 02:09 PM
Wallhanger

I never brought any of my units in even my old paper graff unit until just a few yrs ago. now I just bring them in.

I messaged Lowrance about this a few days ago and the answer I got was they were tested in harsh weather for short periods with no I'll effect but it was not recommended for the long term. so I'll keep bringing them in. I just upgraded my 20+ yr old unit with a used hds 10 insight with structure scan and an hds 8 and you better believe they'll be kept in the house all winter.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:47 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggamefisher View Post
One or two simple to operate gimble knobs/push buttons per unit, if you can't cause they are in-dash so be it....but if you can, why wouldn't you?

The effort spent typing most of these replies is more effort than most would exert removing a sonar head unit! LOL

Sorry I just do get why this is even a topic that requires discussion......cause it's just so easy!!
no kidding!!! really?? how hard is it to unscrew a couple knobs and take the graph in the house for the winter .. people are talkin bout this?

if your graph is buried in the console, just wrap it in heat tape