Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
DIY Rapala Jigging Raps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 10:06 PM
Minnow

Default DIY Rapala Jigging Raps

For quite some time I wanted to make jigging raps or puppet minnows etc. to cut cost. I made 10 from a 1 lb roll of lead free silver solder between last night and today. I still have solder on the roll and will be making more! I'm painting them with fingernail polish and coating with a fingernail topcoat. I could easily add the bottom treble hook if I wanted to by making an adjustment to the mold I made but I have found that when fishing jigging raps I almost always catch them by the single hooks. The only thing I usually bring up on the bottom treble hook is either zebra mussels or weeds, and I'm pretty sure that is why I snag and lose so many of them. Looking forward to catching some walleye here soon with these!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190326_202625_971_1553655923550.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	308780  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Minnow

https://youtu.be/xYrHq_EEC4c

If anyone is interested seeing the process I used. I'm in no way trying to promote these or selling them. Just want to help people save money because these lures are way too expensive. So far I have 10 made from a 1lb roll of silver solder and I haven't finished the roll yet.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Wallhanger

I just wait to find them on sale and stock up then. I donít have the time or skills to do what you are doing. That said, those are some really crude versions of jigging raps. If they work just as effectively, you have proof that lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

What about the tail fins? I donít see them in your pic. This would be something that I say differentiates between a jigging rap and a standard jig head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I just wait to find them on sale and stock up then. I don’t have the time or skills to do what you are doing. That said, those are some really crude versions of jigging raps. If they work just as effectively, you have proof that lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish.

What about the tail fins? I don’t see them in your pic. This would be something that I say differentiates between a jigging rap and a standard jig head.

Yep they are crude, and I'm still learning how I will improve on them. You gave me an idea I will try though on my next batches for the fin! I was going to get the corner plastic pieces for drywall like others have but may just design it like a snap rap now mold and have the solder be part of the fin! I can't wait to see how they work when I get a chance fishing! I actually have caught some walleye on a perch colored rap that had lost it's tail because I was catching so many walleye one day! I'll report back on how they work and with the improvements I hope to make.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Wallhanger

I am not sure where but I ordered about 40 or 50 of them unfinished. They come as a plain lead colored body and the rear fin is separate. You also have to supply the bottom treble hook. I still haven't put them together but I have a ton of them already. I bought them because of the deal I found and figured when I run out I would put some together.

2015 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
2015 Nitro ZV18
200hp Optimax
15hp EFI Mercury Pro Kicker
Lowrance electronics
HDS9, HDS7, HDS7, Elite 5
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 04-18-2019, 01:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladding View Post
I am not sure where but I ordered about 40 or 50 of them unfinished. They come as a plain lead colored body and the rear fin is separate. You also have to supply the bottom treble hook. I still haven't put them together but I have a ton of them already. I bought them because of the deal I found and figured when I run out I would put some together.
Right here. I bought a bunch too and custom painted them for a guy over the winter. I need to get some more for some summer time snap jigging

https://www.lurecraft.com/Jigging-Le...uctinfo/8X170/
Old 04-18-2019, 01:45 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
Right here. I bought a bunch too and custom painted them for a guy over the winter. I need to get some more for some summer time snap jigging

https://www.lurecraft.com/Jigging-Le...uctinfo/8X170/

Those are cheap in lots of 100.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
Those are cheap in lots of 100.

A lot easier on the wallet when you find a tree