Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Where to get lead? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Slot Fish

Default Where to get lead?

I would like to start pouring jigs however I am struggling with where to get lead at a decent price in central Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Wallhanger

Touch base with a tire repair place near you. You may get a great deal on used lead weights .

PjShorthorn
Old 01-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Keeper

scrap yard. car batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/

They are located in Springfield, Illinois. About two miles from the Scheels store.

I buy far more than I should from them. Small business. Sometimes I pick up my order when I'm in the area. They have no showroom as everything is phone or internet order. Fun to walk around and see thousands of bins full of "stuff" guys like us love.

Their lead is pretty clean and pours well.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-02-2019, 06:44 AM
Wallhanger

you can check out ebay. you can get ingots for less than 1.75 a lb. you can probably get rough lead a little cheaper. you can get 66 lb for 92.00 with free shipping. thats 1.39 a lb. or you can get 50 lb for a little over 80.00 thats only 1.60 a lb. you might find better deals if you look. these are with free shipping.

Last edited by last chance; 01-02-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Softer lead, i.e., higher lead content, generally pours best. For sinkers, wheels weights are usually OK, but for jig heads with collars and more intricate features, the purer lead seems to better fill these kind of cavities. Just sharing this so that you do not end up with a bunch of lead which may not completely fill the mold features.

Bill
Old 01-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

$3 a pound for good lead makes about sixty quarter ounce jigs at about five cents each. That is about the going price for clean lead. Gotta add shipping.

Unless a person is pouring hundreds upon hundred of jigs the cost of lead is pretty negligible. By the time you cook and clean up used lead your yield and cost won't be much different than fresh lead.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

There is considerable wisdom in the previous comments, most notably Bill's comments.

I scrounged up the majority of my lead over the years. Older farmers are a great source for lead. I've met many such gentlemen over the years that had some lead in their machine sheds - not sure why, but they were willing to part with it. I've also stopped at scrap metal dealers and found a lot of my soft lead. I recall lead coming from churches having their stained glass windows repaired, from a hospital having a new x-ray laboratory being installed and from a community project replacing water lines.

Scrounging up lead is akin to the joke about looking for a policeman. You will find sources for free lead when you don't need it. But, you won't be able to find any lead when you need it.

I keep my "lots" of lead separated from the soft lead bucket until I prove it's degree of purity by making some jigs. I keep my purest lead for more intricate jigs. The harder leads get used up in jigs that are simple in design, such that I need not worry about mal-formed jigs.

Kindest regards.....
Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

where I worked in a wire mill they used pure lead to anneal the wires before zinc plating. I have a pie pan with an eye bolt in the center that I filled with pure lead to use as an anchor. I don't know how much it weighs but I would just guess 30+ lbs. if you interested in buying it i'll sell it for 1.50 a lb. plus shipping. if thats more than you want I have the bottom of a coffee can that I did the same with and would guess 20+ lbs. I can cut the I bolt off and ship priority mail for about 15.00 to 20.00. if your interested send me a pm and i'll get it weighed and get back to you. you can melt it in the pan with a torch or propane stove then pour or ladle it out.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:55 PM
Minnow

I get my lead from a local plumber. He usually has some lead pipe or some lead "packing" material that he will give me. It is the softer variety so it pours well.