Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Truck - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip_Yanker View Post
Congrats on the new ride fishin10. Some other nice trucks posted also.

I've been looking for an F150 for quite awhile... but, I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding a standard cab available with the options I'm looking for.

So I just keep chugging along in the old Super Duty for now. 19 years old and it's hardly broken in yet at less than 50k miles anyway. lol

what the....why you wanna replace that? trucks get better with age
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2020, 09:12 AM
Slot Fish

My dad recently purchased a 2021 super crew with the 3.5L eco boost. He lives out in Colorado and just drove back to Omaha pulling a 14' utility trailer completely unloaded and got 7.8 mpg with the 36 gallon tank. This is his 4th and is by far the worst MPG he has gotten. I suspect something is wrong, as the truck only has 5k miles on it so far. No trailer he is getting 16-18...so not sure why the huge swing on such a light trailer. Kind of disappointing though, as we were in the market for the same pickup. It will be interesting to see if there is an issue or not, as we will probably go with the 5.0 if not.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieatrick View Post
My dad recently purchased a 2021 super crew with the 3.5L eco boost. He lives out in Colorado and just drove back to Omaha pulling a 14' utility trailer completely unloaded and got 7.8 mpg with the 36 gallon tank. This is his 4th and is by far the worst MPG he has gotten. I suspect something is wrong, as the truck only has 5k miles on it so far. No trailer he is getting 16-18...so not sure why the huge swing on such a light trailer. Kind of disappointing though, as we were in the market for the same pickup. It will be interesting to see if there is an issue or not, as we will probably go with the 5.0 if not.
If your Dad was pulling a box trailer at 80 to 85mph in unfavorable wind I could see getting poor mpg. It takes multiple tanks for the positive and negative factors impacting mpg to even out. Also, make sure he doesn’t use the 85 octane regular grade gas available at high elevations in the turbo engine.

measured over a span of 3 long haul towing trips over nearly 10,000 miles my 3.5EB SCREW 4 x 4 averaged 15.3mpg towing 3 to 3,500 pound boat with full windshield.

The 3.5EB beats the 5.0 the EPA mpg estimate by 1mpg. When you add towing into the mix the 5.0 has a slight advantage. I wouldn't buy one or the other based on mpg differences because it is splitting hairs. If you tow I highly recommend the maxtow option. In recent years that forced selection of the 3.5EB only. I dont know if in the ‘21 model year maxtow may be linked to the 5.0, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2020, 01:23 PM
Wallhanger

I'm on my 2nd 3.5 eco, first one a 2017, and latest a 2019. 2019 gets about a half mpg better towing mpg than the 2017 did. When towing boat, #6000 back and forth to our condo, all freeway, at 70 mph, I average 11 mpg, no wind, 10 mpg headwind, and 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 mpg with wind. This is a 2 1/2 hr freeway drive. These eco trucks are very wind dependent for mileage. I have herd of many questionable mileage claims as to towing, but I have towed extensively with two of them, and have a friend that has a 2018 eco, and all three are within a half mpg or there abouts, as to towing mpg.
Old 11-02-2020, 07:05 AM
Wallhanger

Just a Up Date...This past Friday while enroute to Cookeville Tn from Auburndale Fl(670 Miles) pulling the boat into a steady 15-20 mph headwind, I averaged 11.3 mpg for the trip running 70-72 mph. The truck was in 8th and 9th gear for most of the trip in tow haul mode. The instant mpg ran between 9-13 mpg. I have no doubt the tall windshield on the boat catches alot of wind, which affects fuel mileage.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin10 View Post
Just a Up Date...This past Friday while enroute to Cookeville Tn from Auburndale Fl(670 Miles) pulling the boat into a steady 15-20 mph headwind, I averaged 11.3 mpg for the trip running 70-72 mph. The truck was in 8th and 9th gear for most of the trip in tow haul mode. The instant mpg ran between 9-13 mpg. I have no doubt the tall windshield on the boat catches alot of wind, which affects fuel mileage.
Maybe that's why I am getting 14ish with the boat. I usually drive only 55 to maybe 65 (if traffic flow requires it) when pulling the boat. My tranny never gets above 8th gear. Seems odd but if I go 60 the average MPG per dash readout is better than going 55.