Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Knife sharpener - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 06:00 PM
Wallhanger

This works just fine for me.

https://www.harborfreight.com/combin...one-62852.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2020, 02:29 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Fisherman View Post
I have been using the Work Sharp sharpener. Simple to use and does a nice job.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1964_200431964
This is the one I use and love it. Just do all my knives in one sitting. Works very well!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:03 PM
Wallhanger

Lansky for portable, the Ken Onion for home and putting the correct angle on the blade.

Get the right angle on the blade for what your going to be using it for and they will stay sharp longer. imho

I also have a steel that has abrasives on it for touch ups.

Al
Old 11-30-2020, 06:08 AM
Wallhanger

I use the Work Sharp also, it works fine on some knives (kitchen) but it doesn't seem to work well on my fillet type knives.

While butchering a buck a few weeks ago, I tried once again to sharpen my fillet knives on the Work Sharp and same poor results.

I had never tried just freehanding on a belt sander, but I fired up the sander t and gave it a whirl. They actually turned out pretty good I think you still need that stone if you want ultra-razor sharp, but these were pretty darn good.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
I use the WorkSharp. Tried lots of different sharpening devices and the WorkSharp is the best I've found. Knifes are razor sharp and at the proper edge angle. I use it for all my household knives. I can also sharpen scissors and serrated blades. You can sharpen files, drill bits and even a shovel blade or ax using the right grit belt. It is nice to have every blade I have sharp and ready to go when I need it. Only requires about a minute to put an edge on a dull knife. Requires repurchase of belts from time to time. I spend maybe $15 a year for new belts for the amount of knife sharpening I do.
I agree 100%.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Thump 55,

Copy your comments on the use of the belt sander for sharpening knives.

I use a 1 inch wide, 30 inch long belt sander with the matching sanding belt.

I have belts in grits ranging from 40 - 4000.

For most knife sharpening, I start with a well worn 320 grit belt for most normal touchups.

For a knife that needs a new edge established, I will start with a 120 or a 220 grit belt.

When I use the sander for chisels and screwdrivers, I stay with the 120 grit belt.

But, when I go to kitchen or fillet knives I will jump from 320 - 400 - 600 - 800 and then 1500 grit for the final touch up. If a totally razor edge is needed, I will use a leather belt with the white buffing compound on the belt for that final edge.

If the side is off of the sander, the belt changes can be made in about 10 seconds, so it doesn't take long to get things finished off. If I am out in the shop where I have a number of belt sanders, I will have a different grit belt on each sander so that I can go quickly from one sanding station to the next and not spend any time changing belts.

If I am in the work shop with my smaller belt sander and a tray full of knives to sharpen, I will start with one belt, and go through the knives. Then, change belts and go through the knives again etc. until I have gone through each knife with the appropriate grit belt to put the desired edge on each knife blade.

I stopped using any sort of stone for sharpening many many years ago and haven't looked back.

The use of the belt sander with the appropriate grit belt, literally removes hours from the time spent to sharpen the knives of family, friends, and associates.

Best wishes.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Slot Fish

yet another +1 for the work sharp. Even an idiot like me can get it right. No worrying about holding anything at a specific angle. Directions/video are super simple.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Slot Fish

Default Knife Sharpener

I picked up a Buck EdgeTek Ultra FlipStik and it works great. It's highly portable and as you can see in the description, comes with three different diamond grits.

https://www.buckknives.com/product/e...pener/97044-B/