Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
garage hacks - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Wallhanger

Default garage hacks

I'm going to have the luxury of a new, 3 car, deep garage next year and want to be able to make sure it has plenty of storage all around the sides for my gear, plus a workbench. We won't have a basement which we traditionally have had for as long as I can remember. We are downsizing CONSIDERABLY before moving in, but still "have stuff" that needs storing. Does anyone have websites/plans/ideas where I can start looking for my needs? I'm not a DIY guy but can cut/nail/screw stuff together at an average level. I've done some searching (YouTube mostly), just was hoping for some different ideas. Thanks in advance.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

If you have tall ceilings you might consider overhead storage or even a loft above your vehicles. Nice for seasonal decorations or anything not heavy and manageable on a step ladder. Buddy has a deep and high stalled shop and installed a loft over the work bench with a stairs along one wall.

Be creative.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 11-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Wallhanger

When in doubt throw it out......great advice I got many years ago.

My buddy took “stuff” his wife and 2 daughters had lying around the house and collect it (many times) and put that stuff in a Heavty garbage bag and then hid that bag in his garage attic. If no ask for that stuff in 60 days he carried it out to the curb on garage day........to this day they don’t know any of the crap is gone.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Wallhanger

I went to the scrapyard and bought some used pallet racking for my garage storage. I had to dig around a bit but found all the pieces that I needed for a fraction of the cost of new storage. It was easy to assemble, and if necessary can be adjusted or removed without too much difficulty. Depending on where you put it you could make it high enough to pull a vehicle in underneath the lowest level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Only you know what kind of storage you need. There are lots of suggestions on the internet and probably a book about garages and storage at the local Lowe's and Home Depot.

My detached garage is 24 X 30 and I put in the following: One corner has a floor to ceiling cabinet with doors for shovels, brooms, etc, and a top shelf. Smaller stuff gets stored on the top shelf of that cabinet. Adjacent to that are cabinets with doors installed against the ceiling and wall. These cabinets extend along the entire length of the wall. Each cabinet has two shelfs and they hold a lot of stuff. I used "L" brackets to install open shelving along part of the back wall. The back wall also holds two high kitchen cabinets that I got on a fluke. Another wall has brackets that hold my extension ladder high and above a window. There is a 16 ft work bench under the long line of wall cabinets. Peg board also comes into good use for small items.

I also have a 10 X 16 garden shed where I store my lawn tractor, walk behind mower, Xmas decorations, garden stuff and where I store deck furniture in the winter.

You're only limited by your imagination.

Hope your project works out well.

Jack

Last edited by Jack G; 11-21-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:53 PM
Wallhanger

Finally making your move south Brian?
Old 11-21-2020, 09:18 PM
Charter Member

Brian,
If you have not built the garage yet, do yourself a favor and do NOT put any windows in the garage. It is easy enough to light up a garage with LED lighting.

With no windows, security is increased greatly in the garage. i.e. no easy entrance or peeking by a potential looter.

But a very very very big advantage of no windows is that you lose no storage or wall space by having a window that you have to work around in the garage.

-----------------------------------
For myself, I used 2x4s and 4/8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood to make shelves and benches as required.

I would run a 2x4 from the floor to the ceiling or upper rafters and secure them. Then, I would run a 2x4 from the board against the wall out to the one that has been setup for a bench or a shorter one that is set up for a shelf. I would run a brace every 4 feet. For the shelves, I would take a 4x8 sheet of plywood and rip it down the center to give me quality shelving that is two feet wide and 8 feet long. Or, if less room is available, cut the board twice or three times to make the shelves 16 inches wide or 12 inches wide. Then, use nice screws to hold everything together and you have a setup that will be strong and long lasting, but if necessary can be disassembled by simply removing screws and reconfigured.

But, above all, before moving - down size and get rid of all of the things that you don't absolutely need and don't need to store. Just clench your teeth and for everybody that is involved in the move, have them go through every single item that is being considered for a move and if not absolutely necessary and a plan for that items use in the new location, pitch it to the garbage, good will, or give it away. I am not a believer in garage sales. I would just rather give things away than having former treasures being pawed over and being asked to sell a treasured item for a few pennies on the dollar.

Best wishes.

Last edited by REW; 11-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 PM
Wallhanger

If the garage is going to have attic space above it, you could install the drop-down folding stairs. It would allow you to walk right up the stairs and then install plywood above the garage ceiling. Additional storage space for seasonal things....
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 11-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.garagejournal.com/
Old 11-22-2020, 04:27 AM
Wallhanger

Don't finish the inside of the garage with drywall. Instead, install shelves between the studs using 1x or 2x lumber to make 3 1/2" deep shelves. Lots of room for storing small items, like bottles of oil, garden chemicals, etc.

Hang pegboard on the walls for tool storage.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 11-22-2020 at 04:35 AM.