Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle: Crawler Harness - Page 24 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Keeper

Where I live, it's brook trout heaven. The limit is 20 brook trout per day, no size limit. They are easy to catch and most of the lakes have no other fish species in them other than trout. There is no stocking done in any of the lakes. When going out for meat....I use only a small hook baited with the head of a big nightcrawler on the end of 4 lb test line.

The brook trout aren't large. The average is about 10 to 16 inches. 18 inchers are quite common but not many above that.

I really like to use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks size 8. I can go for days without missing a trout with these hooks. Yes....every trout that bites....gets caught. I do let them bite and I even let them run with the bait before striking. Yes...the hook is most often very deep. When I don't want many trout to eat, I use a fly rod. Another lure that allows me to release trout is simply a Panther Martin with a single hook.

I have some Tru-Turn hooks and they are great hooks. Very fine wire and very sharp. Soft enough to straighten out when hooked on a snag too but I prefer a short shank hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabluz View Post
Where I live, it's brook trout heaven. The limit is 20 brook trout per day, no size limit. They are easy to catch and most of the lakes have no other fish species in them other than trout. There is no stocking done in any of the lakes. When going out for meat....I use only a small hook baited with the head of a big nightcrawler on the end of 4 lb test line.

The brook trout aren't large. The average is about 10 to 16 inches. 18 inchers are quite common but not many above that.

I really like to use Gamakatsu Octopus hooks size 8. I can go for days without missing a trout with these hooks. Yes....every trout that bites....gets caught. I do let them bite and I even let them run with the bait before striking. Yes...the hook is most often very deep. When I don't want many trout to eat, I use a fly rod. Another lure that allows me to release trout is simply a Panther Martin with a single hook.

I have some Tru-Turn hooks and they are great hooks. Very fine wire and very sharp. Soft enough to straighten out when hooked on a snag too but I prefer a short shank hook.
I really like the Gami Octopus hooks too.I use em for everything up to size 10/0 for chunking to striped bass.Nice post DaBluz!

FC
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Minnow

Default Blade suggestions

Hey guys, new to the forum and lake erie in general, I was hoping to get some input on blades for harnesses.
I have looked at the multiple sources for SS blades and the color options is as extensive as our spoons and flies on Lake Ontario.

I am planning to make a trip for a weekend in Late june and was wondering what blades have been hot out there in the past couple of years?

May be 10 -12 colors that are a good choice to start with for trolling harnesses?

I noticed that there are options color options in both copper and gold on most blades, does that difference really matter alot?

For trolling do I want double willows or for trolling?

jj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Keeper

I'm not a bunch of help for you. I only like blades that turn at very slow speeds so I use Colorado blades. And to keep things simple, I prefer gold or silver blades and maybe a few coloured blades like orange, green, black, and white.