Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to call a Gobbler out of tree - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 04-30-2017, 09:56 AM
Minnow

Wait till later in the day when the hens are on the nest and he's ready for some action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Keeper

I agree with Zip, wait until hens ditch the gobbler. He will remember where you are. Had it happen many times without fail. I can't sit on ground, so I am in a blind. Pour a cup of coffee and give some soft calls every 20 or 30 min. My daughter in law got a nice bird with 1.5 spurs that I called in 3 hours after it flew down and went with hens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	260353  
Old 12-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Keeper

Don't call too much, if at all till they get down. If they head off, you may have to wait till later in the day when the hens wonder off.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Keeper

Post up some hen decoys while its dark and then call to get his attention after he gobbles a few times and its light enough to see the decoys. Do some loud cackles and yelps while he is on the roost so he knows where you are... Sit and hope that he will fly down to your decoys. In 20 years, I have never been able to call a dominant tom off of live hens no matter what I did.

I have found a box call works best before they fly off the roost. I dont know why but thats what my experience has taught me. After that, a slate call purring can sometimes pull a tom to a decoy.
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Old 03-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Wallhanger

Several times I've shot Toms when they follow hens in. The problem there is I don't know how to call the hens in.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

The lost hen call will usually bring in hens, the gobbler may be in tow since he will follow them.
Worth a try!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Place a Jake over a hen within sight and do not call at all. Give it a good thirty minutes after flydown to let them work. After the 30 minutes are up you can try calling, but I would say over calling is the worst thing you can do with an old bird.

I’ve also not seen breaking them up off of the roost Work well in the spring. It’s a great fall tactic but in the spring they just seem to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 05:30 AM
Wallhanger

I'm curious,do any of you guys go into the woods in the dark with a small flashlight in the morning ? I have never done that but would prefer to now that I'm getting a little age on me. Would it scare the birds ?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 AM
Wallhanger

I personally don't use a light, but have walked into areas when its daylight, set up, and shot a gobbler.
I sure as heck couldn't win any calling contests, and sure am not an expert, but my old Lynch world champion box call/calls have called in a lot of turkeys over the years; which reminds me, I need to tune it a little so it sounds sweet, turkey season is coming!
I've also had the experience where I would hear multiple tree gobbles then nothing, sit there and call maybe every 20 min or so and nothing, come 10;00 or later and hear one gobble, answer and start working the bird, in most cases he will be in range shortly, not always!
Seems like a lot of guys are out of the woods by then, the hens are on the nests, and the boys are out roaming around looking for love!!!! As others have mentioned, later in the morning can be productive as well.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Wallhanger

I've shot more birds between 11 and 1 than early morn. Off roast is a crap shoot but soft tree yelps will get him responding. Out of desperation try a fighting purr.