Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Before You Buy Another Rod Owe It to Yourself to Pickup One of These Elliot Rods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-22-2020, 04:23 PM
Wallhanger

Default Before You Buy Another Rod Owe It to Yourself to Pickup One of These Elliot Rods

https://www.elliottfishingrods.com/open-water/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

The brothers are really class acts and wonderful fellows with great products.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:05 AM
Wallhanger

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The brothers are really class acts and wonderful fellows with great products.
Thornes made a number of rods for me. Recalling the first graphite, tape on reel ice rods, back 30 or more years ago. Today realizing the changes in Sage blanks of the 80's to the denser graphite Sage versions today.

We all have different tastes in rods, my preference cork tape on reel seats (Tennessee Handles). Syncork is lighter and stronger then cork, claimed to be.

Am a fan of longer rods, simply adds so much enjoyment landing fish. A lot of choices, 7' and longer length rods.

Coming from a walleye, crappie and steelhead angler, Elliot Rods have been a welcome addition to my assortment of rods. Can't speak to the bait cast models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Syncork is a different cat, so to speak.

When glued up as a handle on a blank it is a nice strong grip that lasts a long time and takes wear very well

But, due to the gluing nature of the material, it is difficult to take a group of syncork rings, glue them together, put them on a mandrel, put them in a lathe - shape them into a grip and then transfer the completed handle to a bare blank to be glued on as is the case with a cork grip make of a set of cork rings.

The issue becomes the gluing together of the syncork rings just by them selves and not being glued to a permanent blank.

If the glued together (only) on a mandrel, and then shaped into a grip and then attempted to be removed from the mandrel to be glued up to a blank - the rings may or may not stay together.

However, if the rings are reamed to size, placed on the blank in their final location and glued solidly to the blank and together and then have the entire blank spun as the grip is shaped, the grip is bullet proof and long lasting.

I would expect that the vast majority of rods that are built with syncork grips use an on the rod blank assembly and machining method for constructing with syncork very successfully.

As long as a builder has a full length rod building lathe, there is no issue at all with Syncork and it makes a wonderful - comfortable whether wet and dry and lasts and lasts.

Take care
Old 05-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Minnow

Really liking my elliot rods! Two summer and one winter rod in my arsenal so far. More to come im sure.

Whats everyone using them for? With the different actions and powers?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2020, 03:11 PM
Wallhanger

Are these rods made in the USA?
Old 05-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are these rods made in the USA?
Doubt it.

Looked all over the site unless I missed it.

Very proud of the handle material so I would assume they would proudly state the source of materials and construction.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:20 PM
Wallhanger

Would be nice to know with so many others made in the USA options at similar prices.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

I am wondering the same thing. I just was looking before I hit this post. All I found was that the handle cork is made in the USA. I'm sure they are fantastic rods. My problem is my place up north is only 45 minutes from the St Croix store and I have way to many rods to try another brand. It is awfully nice to be able to walk into the store with a damaged rod and walk out with new replacement. I have done it several times. Great people and warranty...
Old 06-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Wallhanger

Default American Made

Myself, have close to a dozen St. Croix rods.

Having a preference for cork handles really like the Elliot rods. Made in America, can't verify, 100%. So I won't.

Many of the rods on the rack today come from Mexico....

On "some" of the St. Croix rods personally do not like the handles.

The Elliot rods are the best advancement in "cork handled rods" Skyline rods had cork handles, liked them but seemed to be "tip" heavy.

Syncork is lighter and tougher then species cork and seems to balance very well in my opinion.

If you never have tried a cork handled rod, try one you may really like it.