Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
black bear lodge, red lake fishing report aug 1-8 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 08-09-2015, 03:45 PM
Keeper

Default black bear lodge, red lake fishing report aug 1-8

I was just up at BBL last week, and the fish just shut down! It was the slowest fishing trip I had ever had! The biggest walleye for us was a 19.5", biggest pike 30". We struggled to find fish through out the week except the last day. We took a portage and struggled for most of the day tell we got a triple header! But that was it. It deffenetly wasn't the best fishing, but there was pleanty of good food to kinda make up for it.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye will View Post
I was just up at BBL last week, and the fish just shut down! It was the slowest fishing trip I had ever had! The biggest walleye for us was a 19.5", biggest pike 30". We struggled to find fish through out the week except the last day. We took a portage and struggled for most of the day tell we got a triple header! But that was it. It deffenetly wasn't the best fishing, but there was pleanty of good food to kinda make up for it.
Will thanks for the report! Too bad lockjaw infected the fish! It happens !
Did you have any campfires ? Any norther lights?
Keep in touch maybe we can get a plan for next year!
Old 08-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Keeper

Ha Ha, lockjaw was the term we used last week as well, We were about 150 miles north of Red Lake, we did catch some nice fish, but not big numbers, fish seemed to be extremely scattered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydave View Post
Will thanks for the report! Too bad lockjaw infected the fish! It happens !
Did you have any campfires ? Any norther lights?
Keep in touch maybe we can get a plan for next year!
We clouldn't a combination of the wind, rain and clouds prevented both this trip.

Definatly looking forward for next year.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

Howdy Will:

Glad that you and your Dad stopped in at V-Bay Lodge to say hello to Breezy, Ben, my Dad and myself on your way up to BBL.Sometimes the bite can be pretty challenging on any lake system when the weather changes a lot during the week. At 14 years old, you have a lot of time to have great fishing trips with your Dad and friends where the bite will be really hot. After all of the years of fishing that I have done, I always remember those special times where a big fish or a lot of fish weren't the reason I had a great time. Trust me, you will have those days where fishing will be the best ever...you had one of those days last year on Red Lake with your Dad. I had one of those trips last year on Red Lake when we met you guys and we caught some personal bests. I'm going to get that big northern I caught mounted It took me 45 years to catch that fish.

Keep fishing and always remember when things went well.......if they didn't, remember it even more so you can change tactics to improve your fishing chances. If all else fails......find the guys in camp with gray wiskers and ask them for advice, guidance and ideas. They have already made all of the fishing mistakes of a lifetime...

Now get back to school and study hard.

PjShorthorn
Old 08-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

I've heard from fishermen fishing Optic Lake and Little Vermilion Lake during the same week and they had excellent success. Both those lakes are close to Red Lake, about 50 and 18 miles.

Both are shallow lakes, compared to Red Lake. Not sure if that matters.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:47 PM
Keeper

Default lockjaw

My wife and I just returned from Red Lake (Bow Narrows) 8-9 to 8-14 and I could not believe the lock jaw on the fish! My wife caught one pike at 39 inches. Other than that it was thin pickins all week! we caught six walleyes the whole week with the largest being 16 inches. We caught 3 or 4 pike at 26.5 to 27. One day we didn't catch a fish until 6:30 P.M and it was a 26.5 inch pike. It was a very humbling week. I have been going to Canada since 1983 and thought that I have seen it all as far as good years and bad years! not even close! I will say that Dan, Brenda, and their crew did everything they could to help people get on fish. They have a very nice camp with excellent equipment. Time to start planning the next trip!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:12 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemike View Post
My wife and I just returned from Red Lake (Bow Narrows) 8-9 to 8-14 and I could not believe the lock jaw on the fish! My wife caught one pike at 39 inches. Other than that it was thin pickins all week! we caught six walleyes the whole week with the largest being 16 inches. We caught 3 or 4 pike at 26.5 to 27. One day we didn't catch a fish until 6:30 P.M and it was a 26.5 inch pike. It was a very humbling week. I have been going to Canada since 1983 and thought that I have seen it all as far as good years and bad years! not even close! I will say that Dan, Brenda, and their crew did everything they could to help people get on fish. They have a very nice camp with excellent equipment. Time to start planning the next trip!
Sorry to hear about the tough fishing conditions. I was at BBL last year about a week earlier than your trip this year. Although fish weren't jumping in the boat,we caught enough to make each day interesting. Did you happen to fish Trout Falls, entrance to Hall Bay or Biron Bay north of Bow Narrows in Pipestone ? We caught some nice fish in each of these areas.

PjShorthorn.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshorthorn View Post
Sorry to hear about the tough fishing conditions. I was at BBL last year about a week earlier than your trip this year. Although fish weren't jumping in the boat,we caught enough to make each day interesting. Did you happen to fish Trout Falls, entrance to Hall Bay or Biron Bay north of Bow Narrows in Pipestone ? We caught some nice fish in each of these areas.

PjShorthorn.
We fished Hall Bay and grafted a bunch of big fish just couldn't get them to take the lure. One consolation is that I got to spend a week in Canada doing what I love most!
Old 08-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyemike View Post
We fished Hall Bay and grafted a bunch of big fish just couldn't get them to take the lure. One consolation is that I got to spend a week in Canada doing what I love most!
Well, you fished a go to spot for us on our trip. If you go on a trip there again I can mark up a map and give you some better info on the spots I mentioned. My son and I caught our personal bests on the shoreline to the left of the Hall Bay entrance ( aka The Eagle's Nest ).

Send a PM if you are heading back there next year.

PjShorthorn

Tags
black bear lodge , red lake