Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lake St Clair fall 2018 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Keeper

Default Lake St Clair fall 2018

I live in Ohio and I want to take a trip up to St Clair this fall... Would anyone be willing to help me out? I've never been there, no clue where to launch from.

It's been on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018, 10:08 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwatchmike View Post
I live in Ohio and I want to take a trip up to St Clair this fall... Would anyone be willing to help me out? I've never been there, no clue where to launch from.

It's been on my bucket list and I'm not getting any younger!

Thanks in advance!

I'd get with Spencer Berman or Mike Hulbert on a guide trip. St. Clair is 400 sq miles of mostly flat, featureless bottom 10ft deep. There is a channel, some structure, and also the water clarity. These two fish it every day and it would be well worth the $ to have them show you the ropes.

I went on a 2 day unguided virgin trip on St. Clair about 4-5 years ago. I caught some pike and my PB smallie. No skis. I'm hiring a guide when I go back.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Slot Fish

As mentioned in my email to you I lived in Tecumseh,Ontario on Lake St.Clair and spent 10 years fishing it before moving to northern Ontario.I fished for Muskie,Pike,Walleye,Bass,Carp,Catfish,Perch which are all abundant in the lake.As you may know Lake St.Clair has an average depth of about 15 feet with the exception of the the shipping channels that are dredged to about 30 feet.There are also many sandbars that can be found throughout the lake in various locations but the shift every year depending on the wave activity from year to year.They are easy to spot in calm waters and you will see the waves breaking on them during those windy days.These areas can hold Muskie as small bait fish often collect here.Also,Muskie can be found sunning themselves in these areas in about 2-3 feet of water on occasion.Since the 'Zebra Mussel' invasions dating back to around the mid eighties the water clarity in the lake has improved immensely which has allowed the growth of aquatic vegetation to flourish as compared prior to their arrival.There are now many of these aquatic vegetation beds present throughout out the lake and you can find good numbers of Muskie present in each.Spotting these beds is easy as you will easily see the dark patches beneath the water when approaching them.I usually fish the edges first casting crank baits or buck- tails as Muskie will be waiting to sabotage any unknowing forage fish swimming by.

If no fish are stirred up on the edges I work my way into the middle of the vegetation bed using surface baits if the water is flat calm or buck-tails,keeping them just below the surface and just above the vegetation.

You will probably see many boats trolling the waters with crank-baits as this seems to be very popular when wanting to cover vast amounts of area.Due to the lack of any major structure in Lake St.Clair I have found that the Muskie tend to roam more frequently in the open water when searching for those vegetation bed feeding grounds when compared to the lakes in northern Ontario where the Canadian Shield in present.

When you get closer to where the lake drains into the Detroit River the current is noticeable and this is where I have noticed the larger Muskie can be found as well as very good Walleye fishing.You will also be close to the shipping channels where the water depth is 30 feet.I find casting from the edge of the channel from shallow to deep is very productive at times or trolling the edged of the channel in about 15 to 20 feet.You can troll the river but be aware of any lake freighters as they can stir up quite a wake,...I'm speaking from experience here.

Peche Island is a good area and is located right at the mouth of the Detroit River.There are some good points and bays to try and are very easily recognized.It is also a good area to take a break from fishing and explore the many small channels within the island.This is where most of the pike can be located too.

There is also the ship 'Dumping Grounds' that have been discontinued for some time now.Many years ago Muskie anglers would flock there as the fishing and numbers of huge Muskie were second to none on the entire lake.I have not fished there in over 20 years but it may be worth a try.Most people today would probably not know of it's history in relation to Muskie fishing.

Mitchells Bay is another area to try.The bay is very shallow and full of aquatic vegetation and has been know to harbour big Muskie.Fishing the edge of the vegetation line is you best bet or even where the water drops to 6 and 12 feet.

Fishing along the break walls that line some of the shoreline,marinas or around docks and boathouses can also produce fish so don't pass them by.

Again,the lake has very high numbers of Muskie and I would rate it number 4 in Ontario behind Lake of the Woods,Eagle and Nipissing lakes.

I have Hydrographic Depth Charts of the entire lake that have have some spots marked where I have caught Muskie.The Blue 'X's' show areas to cast and the Green dashed lines are areas to troll.I have also attached PDF's of showing a booklet section of the lake and some information on marinas where you can launch your boat. You will have to PM me and provide an email address in order for me to send the chart and other information files if interested.

Also,from the mouth of the Detroit River where Peche Island is located to Mitchell's Bay is a 25 mile boat ride.If making long trips on this lake make sure the weather forecast will permit for a safe trip.Storms tend to follow the lakes shoreline and due to the shallowness of Lake St.Clair it can go from dead calm to 4+ foot white caps in a matter of minutes,...and there is no place to hide and take shelter if caught in the crossfire,...again,speaking from experience.I've had a couple nail biting experiences on that lake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Minnow

I will be on LSC from 9/13-9/16. If I locate some good fish I’ll PM ya some gps #’s. I’ve seen a couple non eaters in fords cove channel and Delphine channel earlier this year. Metro beach area weed beds are a great spot.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stace View Post
I will be on LSC from 9/13-9/16. If I locate some good fish I’ll PM ya some gps #’s. I’ve seen a couple non eaters in fords cove channel and Delphine channel earlier this year. Metro beach area weed beds are a great spot.
Thank you! I won't be up till the end of October / beginning of November. Actually looking hard at November 10th thru the 13th.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Slot Fish

How did the trip go? Interested in how it went on one of my old fishing grounds.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Of The Woods View Post
How did the trip go? Interested in how it went on one of my old fishing grounds.
Unfortunately "life" got in the way of my first trip to LSC this fall. Definitely going to head up next year for a couple of trips.... Come on spring!

Old 03-16-2019, 06:33 AM
Minnow

Was there not too long ago, seems good but be careful if you take your dog there. We have a fifty pound dog and we had to buy an enforced leash for him there: http://refugeeair.org/2018/11/05/57-...og-on-a-leash/. The leash is thankfully flexible enough to keep our hikes pleasant. We hike several times a month, walking 4-6 miles at a time and after utilizing it for more than half a year now it's still as new. My palms ache often but it's been a relief and quite comfortable for us both.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:46 AM
Minnow

Buying a reel is such an important investment. Oh and if you get it right and you will enhance your fishing pleasure and your results. Then again, if you get it wrong and you will ruin the balance of your rod, and it could cost you fish. Choosing your style of reel is quite an important step: fixed spool, free spool, center-pin or closed face. Secondly, I would suggest you check under-the-open-sky.com/best-ultralight-spinning-reel as I think it is a really good guide/review place. Also, I have read many useful gear-related pros and cons of different hunting gears at this site. What I’ve found is that basically there are 4 different styles of reels available. Some are very versatile and can be used for a wide variety of different fishing styles. Whereas, others are really quite specialized and should only be used for specific purposes. I'm still learning as I go myself.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyhelysako View Post
Was there not too long ago, seems good but be careful if you take your dog there. We have a fifty pound dog and we had to buy an enforced leash for him there: http://refugeeair.org/2018/11/05/57-...og-on-a-leash/. The leash is thankfully flexible enough to keep our hikes pleasant. We hike several times a month, walking 4-6 miles at a time and after utilizing it for more than half a year now it's still as new. My palms ache often but it's been a relief and quite comfortable for us both.
obvious spammer scammer is obvious