Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Forward Facing Sonar - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-21-2024, 10:08 AM
Keeper

Default Forward Facing Sonar

I have been contemplating the idea of getting forward facing sonar (doesn't matter what brand - not here to debate the brand). I would like to hear from those who have purchased it and have used it. Was it worth the money and do you use it enough to justify the cost?

Again - I don't want to hear buy this one over that one over that brand......just want to hear about how you like it or don't like it, do you use it, was it worth the money, etc.

and - how do you have it mounted on your boat?

Thank you in advance!
Dan
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2024, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootdl View Post
I have been contemplating the idea of getting forward facing sonar (doesn't matter what brand - not here to debate the brand). I would like to hear from those who have purchased it and have used it. Was it worth the money and do you use it enough to justify the cost?

Again - I don't want to hear buy this one over that one over that brand......just want to hear about how you like it or don't like it, do you use it, was it worth the money, etc.

and - how do you have it mounted on your boat?

Thank you in advance!
Dan
I'm not trying to tell you what brand to buy. this is FYI only! I watched a film on trolling using a Garmin with some kind of side scan transducer set up sideways on the transom that would show fish in front and back that would also show the fish moving and the depth of the lures to the fish. it was amazing to watch the screen. I set and almost cried. I had bought a used HDS9 GEN 3 with a 3D structure scan box and transducer for our GPS, and I had just bought a used HDS12 LIVE with the 3 in 1 transducer. if I hadn't just spent my life savings I might have went a different route.

you might want to check out YouTube or Google and see if you can find this and just check it out before you buy.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Wallhanger

Like anything, you have to get good at it. some struggle I guess. I have not struggled.

some ramblings...

do I use it a lot? its on 90% of the time even when I'm not focusing on it.

sometimes I use it to find structure, sometimes target fish, sometimes just for more data. its great for waypointing.

I have 400-500 hours or more on FFS since June 2022. Ive caught 1000s of fish I would not have otherwise caught . Those 1000s were caught above 25' deep and thrown back with the exception of a few dozen crappies here and there or a deep hook. In some cases it has changed how I fish. I've caught walleyes, bass, crappies, Hybrids, catfish etc on FFS. People are now using FFS for snagging paddlefish here in MO

I find it wildly entertaining. You see fish previously thought not to exist in that type of water or part of the lake. You watch their behavior with each other. its fun to watch them swim up and eat but they'll also swim up and split. Sometimes every one just ignores you. I do think they are getting wise to it a bit. Its kinda like a vexilar ice fishing. You find yourself talking to your screen a lot to the entertainment of others.

Would i use it basin trolling? meh, I would spy on a down rod for fun....but rely more on SI, DI
Crappie in timber or open water? its deadly if they want to eat. If they don't want to eat, you can't make em eat.

Bass? brush piles yes, in MN weeds can sometimes be too thick to see them. on bank fish I don't use it. You wont see fish stuck to the bottom typically. those are usually negative fish anyway.
walleyes- I like traditional methods but on slick sunny days, I'll go sharpshoot over basins. Many days good, some days bad, some days great.

Any fish suspended or out of heavy cover can be targeted easily but they do move a lot. On the days I'm "hunting", I'll have 5-6 presentations on the deck to try on a single fish. my rule is no more than 5 minutes though.

Most important is to not abuse. particularly don't go snipe muskeys (or any fish) in 90 degree water as an example. don't fish below 25 feet or so. 33' is the absolute lowest but barotrauma damage can occur. I don't push that.

Is it worth it? that's in the eye of the beholder. since I keep little, I guess not, but for entertainment value... yeah its fun for sure and worth every cent.

When sniping, it can make it no fun for others in boat because FFS generally make it hard for a co-angler to fish effectively. I bring my people up front and we take turns or I run the boat for them if sharpshooting.

If you know someone who works for Garmin, you can get 40% off but I'm always real careful and respectful with that and they won't abuse it. Garmin is HQ'd 10 miles from me

Just so you know before spending a bunch of money...Right now Garmin and Lowrance are generally considered the better performing technology but that can change. Im sure others here might disagree. This is my observation of a lot of people.

Last edited by kswalleyer; 02-21-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2024, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
Like anything, you have to get good at it. some struggle I guess. I have not struggled.

some ramblings...

do I use it a lot? its on 90% of the time even when I'm not focusing on it.

sometimes I use it to find structure, sometimes target fish, sometimes just for more data. its great for waypointing.

I have 400-500 hours or more on FFS since June 2022. Ive caught 1000s of fish I would not have otherwise caught . Those 1000s were caught above 25' deep and thrown back with the exception of a few dozen crappies here and there or a deep hook. In some cases it has changed how I fish. I've caught walleyes, bass, crappies, Hybrids, catfish etc on FFS. People are now using FFS for snagging paddlefish here in MO

I find it wildly entertaining. You see fish previously thought not to exist in that type of water or part of the lake. You watch their behavior with each other. its fun to watch them swim up and eat but they'll also swim up and split. Sometimes every one just ignores you. I do think they are getting wise to it a bit. Its kinda like a vexilar ice fishing. You find yourself talking to your screen a lot to the entertainment of others.

Would i use it basin trolling? meh, I would spy on a down rod for fun....but rely more on SI, DI
Crappie in timber or open water? its deadly if they want to eat. If they don't want to eat, you can't make em eat.

Bass? brush piles yes, in MN weeds can sometimes be too thick to see them. on bank fish I don't use it. You wont see fish stuck to the bottom typically. those are usually negative fish anyway.
walleyes- I like traditional methods but on slick sunny days, I'll go sharpshoot over basins. Many days good, some days bad, some days great.

Any fish suspended or out of heavy cover can be targeted easily but they do move a lot. On the days I'm "hunting", I'll have 5-6 presentations on the deck to try on a single fish. my rule is no more than 5 minutes though.

Most important is to not abuse. particularly don't go snipe muskeys (or any fish) in 90 degree water as an example. don't fish below 25 feet or so. 33' is the absolute lowest but barotrauma damage can occur. I don't push that.

Is it worth it? that's in the eye of the beholder. since I keep little, I guess not, but for entertainment value... yeah its fun for sure and worth every cent.

When sniping, it can make it no fun for others in boat because FFS generally make it hard for a co-angler to fish effectively. I bring my people up front and we take turns or I run the boat for them if sharpshooting.

If you know someone who works for Garmin, you can get 40% off but I'm always real careful and respectful with that and they won't abuse it. Garmin is HQ'd 10 miles from me

Just so you know before spending a bunch of money...Right now Garmin and Lowrance are generally considered the better performing technology but that can change. Im sure others here might disagree. This is my observation of a lot of people.

This is what I heard 2 weeks ago, had the family over of the girl that my last kid is marrying, her brother was there and in the garage lookin at the boat he told me anything i want named garmin he will ship to my front door for 50% off.... those were his words.... I thought hhmmmm
Old 02-21-2024, 06:06 PM
Keeper

I’ve used FFS for 3 seasons on both hard and soft water. Even in these three short years there have been significant improvements by at least 2 brands. I use it for pinpointing fish after marking them on 2D, side or downscan. Then I use it to keep them in sight as they move. Sometimes I use it when trolling but I can’t say it’s improved my catch rate there. For crappies in the Spring and early summer it’s very useful.
You don’t want brand based input but you might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater by leaving that out of this thread.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:42 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfin123 View Post
This is what I heard 2 weeks ago, had the family over of the girl that my last kid is marrying, her brother was there and in the garage lookin at the boat he told me anything i want named garmin he will ship to my front door for 50% off.... those were his words.... I thought hhmmmm
If he works there, its 40% but maybe gone up!

The employees typically buy then I reimburse them...I'll throw in a 10% tip.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswalleyer View Post
If he works there, its 40% but maybe gone up!

The employees typically buy then I reimburse them...I'll throw in a 10% tip.
I guess he went to work for them straight outa school, Its not like I need anything at the moment anyway.... maybe someday...
Old 02-22-2024, 09:13 AM
Wallhanger

This was my first year with FF I do a lot of open water fishing I would never be without it now. I have Mega 360 and find I do not use it near as much as I used to, just so much easier to follow those open water fish with FF. Another stellar area FF shines is weed edges most sonars will not show much with FF you can see and pick out fish from their movement.Me personnely will never be with out it I would give up my Mega 360 before FF.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:56 AM
Keeper

I didn't want to get into the Ford/Chevy/Dodge discussion - Yet. I have done my research and have read a number of different threads on FFS and have an Idea of what I want if I get one. I currently run Humminbird Solix on my boat and the simplest would be to go with Humminbird - but not sure they are the best when it comes to FFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick! View Post
I’ve used FFS for 3 seasons on both hard and soft water. Even in these three short years there have been significant improvements by at least 2 brands. I use it for pinpointing fish after marking them on 2D, side or downscan. Then I use it to keep them in sight as they move. Sometimes I use it when trolling but I can’t say it’s improved my catch rate there. For crappies in the Spring and early summer it’s very useful.
You don’t want brand based input but you might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater by leaving that out of this thread.
Humminbird Solix 12 on Dash and Solix 10 at Bow
MinnKota Ulterra Quest W/Mega SI/DI and I-Pilot Link
Old 02-22-2024, 11:24 AM
Keeper

Over the next couple of days there is a local Fishing expo. There are two speakers on walleye specific use of Forward facing sonar. One of the presentations is on shallow water applications and the other on deeper water applications. I'll be at both of those presentations and really looking forward to both of them. There is only so many YouTube videos that a guy can take, and you will be able to ask a question or two here. Madison, WI show.