Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
if you had to start fresh for walleye tackle, what lures are you stocking up on? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Minnow

Default if you had to start fresh for walleye tackle, what lures are you stocking up on?

Hey All,

Over the past year I’ve been getting myself back into the fishing game from a long layoff. Just completed upgrading my rods and reels and now it’s time to switch to tackle.

What’s everyone’s favorite lures to throw in spring, summer, and fall? What can you not leave home without?

And bonus question what was the craziest odd lure you used to catch a walleye.

After watching a ton of videos and reading up on these forums it seems the consensus is obviously throwing a jig 1/4 oz or so, #7 jigging rap, #5 rippin rap, etc.

I need to purchase all my fishing stuff before I get married next summer so she won’t find out my new addiction hahaha

If you all are starting fresh with tackle what are you loading up on, I need to load up my cart at Cabelas lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Why do you need more than a dozen crank baits and 100 jigs or so?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Keeper

For me jigs, stand up ones I have better luck with. Some worm harnesses. I troll alot come summer time as our walleyes spread out.....must have a rattle. Shad rap rs, Wally divers, flicker shads....chartreuse colors firetigers clowns or shad colors...size 5 to 7. Also, I have good luck on these reservoirs with adding a rattle from Northland to my jigs, as well as a stinger hook at times. I'm in Kansas, so walleye fishing is tough compared to the North Country, but these seem to work for me in the mud/stained ponds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Why do you need more than a dozen crank baits and 100 jigs or so?
Hey REW - If I am understanding you correctly I agree with you that I dont need every single style bait in every size and every color. but I was just more curious as to what people are using these days so then I can maybe pick up a couple lures to try.

I plan on only getting maybe a couple colors and 1 or 2 sizes etc but was just more curious as to the style of bait. dont get me wrong I do love trying and testing new items but I wanted to try and branch out more from just a jig and minnow.

I went to erie for the first time last year and fished with erie dearies and we caught a ton of walleye - and I never heard of that bait before until I was out there and my buddy was using it. So im just curious what other people like and use because im not familiar with a lot of the new lures out there
Old 07-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Keeper

i think it depends on how YOU fish, are you casting to structure? what kind of structure (rock, wood, weeds etc)? are you trolling? what depth, structure (again!) speed, etc?

i dont troll so i wont get into that. but for casting purposes, i would get a few shad raps, flicker shads, etc. dont overlook square bills for casting to shallow cover as well, they may be marketed to bass fishermen, but they catch everything. and i would load up on small to medium swimbaits, i love the strike king rage swimmer, the 2.75, 3.3 and 3.75 will catch tons of fish in the right situation. fished SLOW on a 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 jighead (depending on depth/current) they have a killer action. other swimbaits work well too!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 PM
Wallhanger

You upgraded all your rods and reels. To what? Did you get a mix of trolling and spinning rods? Are you set up to troll or are you going to mostly have a rod in hand?

I’d recommend a variety of jigs in 1/8 and 1/4 and plastics to go with them. Twister tails and paddle tails in the favorite walleye colors: chart, orange, white, yellow, olive gold, purple and silver. For baits you’re going to pull I’d use mostly harnesses in the same colors. Focus on just a couple techniques to begin with and figure out where the fish are, location is the most important thing. The most important factors for catching fish are: 1. depth 2. speed 3. action 4. shape 5. color. Guys will argue about the order of 3, 4 & 5 but I think pretty much everyone agrees on 1 & 2.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canga~ View Post
i think it depends on how YOU fish, are you casting to structure? what kind of structure (rock, wood, weeds etc)? are you trolling? what depth, structure (again!) speed, etc?

i dont troll so i wont get into that. but for casting purposes, i would get a few shad raps, flicker shads, etc. dont overlook square bills for casting to shallow cover as well, they may be marketed to bass fishermen, but they catch everything. and i would load up on small to medium swimbaits, i love the strike king rage swimmer, the 2.75, 3.3 and 3.75 will catch tons of fish in the right situation. fished SLOW on a 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4 jighead (depending on depth/current) they have a killer action. other swimbaits work well too!
Hey yea that’s a good point I won’t be trolling really either. I’ll be fishing a lot of Green Bay/Sturgeon bay so flats and rocks, but also smaller lakes around me so some weeds too. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM
Minnow

I have a couple 2500 ci4 spinning reels and for rods I have various jogging rods 6’6 MLF, 6’10 in both MXF and MLXF, 7’MF, and a 7’MM Rod for casting. I will almost always have a rod in my hand no trolling yet but I will be wanting to cast some Crankbaits
Old 07-25-2019, 06:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue4016 View Post
Hey yea that’s a good point I won’t be trolling really either. I’ll be fishing a lot of Green Bay/Sturgeon bay so flats and rocks, but also smaller lakes around me so some weeds too. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Tube jigs are a must. 3”-3.5” in olive, green and brown. Great imitation for crayfish and goby. When you aren’t catching walleye you’ll be catching smallmouth.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:50 PM
Wallhanger

Bottom bouncers and slow death with a smile blade is one of my main money baits. Then planer boards and Bandits- blue chrome and fruitdot, and IB frozen.
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel