Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Deck Stain - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2020, 03:25 PM
Keeper

Default Deck Stain

I searched this title and most posts are several years old. I currently am using Cabot stain on my PT deck boards which are five years old. Had used a solid stain. Not very happy on performance but we let the dog out on the deck and he tends to scuff it up chasing squirrels. I prefer an oil base stain.

I am wondering what anyone else is using with good luck. Cant expect anything to hold up to abuse but looking for something that retains a decent look. Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 05:42 PM
Wallhanger

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/e...4450160034.htm

I have been using this for 17 years and redo it every 3-5 years. I go with the redwood and it lightens up over time. This stuff you just slop it on nice and thick and let it soak. I can to the whole deck in an afternoon. I pressure wash it a week or two in advance. One 5 gallon pail does my whole deck and stairs. It's oil base dish soap and water cleanup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	479.0 KB
ID:	318916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3549.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	318918  

Last edited by vtec; 05-26-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:25 PM
Wallhanger

If you check Consumer Reports, Behr products rate very high. I have had great luck with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Jerry -If you can't go to O'Sullivan's then you might as well just stain your deck, eh? At my previous house in Robins, I got a preserver stain from Klinger Paint which was the absolute best of any other I have tried. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it, but it shedded water like a water spaniel. It also did not peal or crack, etc. Just the best, and always showed puddles after a rain, even after 4-5 years.. At my present home, I got some recommended preserver from another store, which turned out to be just colored latex paint imo, This pealed and caused me to recently have the wood covering completely replaced with a permanent non-wood deck material, very happy with it,after a few weeks of in place. Sorry not much help, but the Klinger stain was super good, perhaps call them in Cedar Rapids, they could probably help, they keep a record of purchases. Are you going to be able to get up to O'S if they open? Take care.

Bill
Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Keeper

Good to hear from you Bill and appreciate the input. Ya both my trips got cancelled and actually should be there right now. Major bummer. Its sounding like they might keep the border closed even longer. Tough part is the owners cant get over the border to protect their investment and ready camp for when it does open. Not a good situation for them. Hope you are doing well my friend.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM
Wallhanger

Pressure treated lumber will look weathered after 5 yrs, it will happen no matter what you put on it all you can do to make it feel fresh is keep applying a good oil based sealer/stain every few years. Anything else and you are wasting your money, anything water clean up is not worth the time and effort the wood needs the oil. If you look close at like Thompsons, the main water protectant is Paraffin. Using that stuff all you did was put on a suspended wax, beads up like crazy.....for a week, then that just wears away.
But once you stain/seal your deck you have to keep doing it. I have always used Cabot, it can be applied with a garden sprayer, if you are not using the solid color, and adds what the wood needs, oil.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:50 PM
Minnow

I tried Cabot last year and very disappointed. Needs done this year again. Just bought 5 gal Behr.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:49 AM
Wallhanger

I use a 50/50 mix of Thompsons and linseed oil on my clear cedar siding. Been doing it every 5 years for 40 years and it looks great. I would use that on my decks but I have a better plan for decking.

First, if you use a “stain” on decking consider it the equivalent of paint. If you have nice wood decking and want to preserve the appearance of wood, then don’t paint your decks with stain. If your deck is already wrecked it doesn’t matter what you use.

If you have nice wood Instead, use sealer. Sealer preserves the wood and remains transparent. There are multiple good sealers without stain. In recent years I go with diluted, straight tung oil.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to beat Behr.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:37 AM
Slot Fish

Angry

I have decking around a pool that nothing seems to hold up on. 4 years ago we had “college pros” put a solid color stain on from Sherwin Williams. Was told by the college kid it was warranted for 5 years. What a mistake that was. 25% of it peeled off in less than a year. The rest of it would not come off. Used a chemical remover with a pressure washer. Some would peel right off, the rest would not come off. Rented a floor sander to get the rest off. Took almost 2 weeks for this process. After that I put Cabot transparent oil based stain on. That lasted a year in many spots. Just redid it a week ago. Chlorine eats all these paints and stains up. I wanted to leave it with nothing on it. My wife insisted we do something. Been a pain ever since “we” stained it. By the way the college pros company would not warranty their job even though the kid said they would. Read the fine print the company said. No warranty on decks.