Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Favorite road food - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 12:36 PM
Keeper

Our usual routine is to get an early start and after driving a few hours we look for someplace for breakfast. Usually, we try to find a local diner or a similar place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2021, 01:49 PM
truck stops

Default truck stops

On occasion we'll hit a nicer, more popular truck stop and they usually have great hot beef sandwiches, mashed potatoes, gravy, mm mm good.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:22 PM
Wallhanger

I'll probably catch grief for this post but we used to like to stop at Long John Silver's for lunch when we were on the road. Chicken planks and one piece of fish, all dipped in tartar sauce with fries and coleslaw. Usually needed a few Tums after that lunch. The other lunch stop was Steak 'n Shake. Double cheese burger with everything, skinny fries and a chocolate shake. Generally bad service but it was a once-a-year thing for our trip home to visit family.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 PM
Wallhanger

Two places that I can think of offhand. The first is the Norske Nook, in Osseo, WI right off of I-94. Homemade pies and great breakfasts and dinner specials. Definitely worth the stop. The other is Indy's family restaurant in Martinsville, IN on state road 37. I'll be driving through there next week and looking forward to some chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy.

I had enough of that straight through driving and fast food when I was younger. No sense in hurrying since retirement.

Mark
Old 04-11-2021, 04:58 PM
Wallhanger

I hate fast food. It usually doesn't taste great, is incredibly unhealthy, and sits like a rock in my gut. In addition, "fast food" usually isn't that fast.

I try to avoid making stops, but when I stop for a meal, I'll pull up Yelp for a nearby town, and stop in a local restaurant. Better foot, not usually much more expensive, and often served just as quickly as a McDonalds.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersaki View Post
Two places that I can think of offhand. The first is the Norske Nook, in Osseo, WI right off of I-94. Homemade pies and great breakfasts and dinner specials. Definitely worth the stop. The other is Indy's family restaurant in Martinsville, IN on state road 37. I'll be driving through there next week and looking forward to some chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and white gravy.

I had enough of that straight through driving and fast food when I was younger. No sense in hurrying since retirement.

Mark
Norske nook is definitely a winner. They just opened a new one right outside of Madison
Old 04-11-2021, 06:29 PM
Wallhanger

Krystal's for drivethru (like a White Castle but better) but Wendy's or Arby's is ok (although more messy)

Hardee's Biscuits for breakfast in the truck

Cracker Barrel for a faster sit down, plus most know how to make sweet tea.

Most recent trip was 900 miles solo pulling the boat. I fished for 4 hours before pulling the boat out and packing up. 3 pit stops and I made it home.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM
LV guy

Can't drive across NE without stopping at Runza.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:25 PM
Keeper

Weber’s Burgers on Highway 11 in Orillia towards North Bay, Ont. There on the east side of 11 but are so popular they built a pedestrian bridge across 11 so southbound traffic could stop. Large parking areas on both sides with picnic tables. Expect to stand in a long line, but worth it.
Heritage Custom Bunk-Torsion Axle w/Vault hubs
Towed by: 2018 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed 8spd. or 2016 Winnebago 38Q

Last edited by Cover Dog; 04-11-2021 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:57 PM
Wallhanger

X2 on Norskies Nook. I buy a pie every time driving by....that reminds me......
When I need to make time a quick stop at a Subway, Cousins, etc, will get the job done, I used to stop at McDonalds every morning for the same thing, I don't anymore because when 50% of the time the order is wrong, or missing something, I'm out. I just got back from AZ and stopped at one the way out at about 7am and it happened again, in KS so the ones here in WI do not have a monopoly on getting it wrong. I have had a Sausage Egg McMuffin with no egg, no sausage, and have forgotten the processed hash browns. And I order a Large Caramel Moca, hot with whole, and they tried to hand me an iced one, really, at 7 am, who want's cold coffee?