Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Where to get lead? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 01-06-2019, 05:25 AM
Wallhanger

I have found that just about any lead including tire weights mixed with soft lead will work good for most sinkers and jigs. just heat the mold before you start pouring. but for barrel sinkers where you have to remove the pin its best to use pure soft lead. I poured a ton of jigs with collars for fishing the walleye run on the Maumee river. I used mostly tire weights with some pure lead mixed in. the jigs came out real good. but anything like barrel sinkers or no roll sinkers that has a pin that comes out doesn't release the pin so it comes out easy. so for those sinkers I use good lead.

have you found any lead yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 09:40 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rod View Post
I get my lead from a local plumber. He usually has some lead pipe or some lead "packing" material that he will give me. It is the softer variety so it pours well.
Right on...talked to my local plumber/electrician and he stops every so often to drop of a chunk of lead pipe that he cuts off from drains and stuff. Work great, I just melt it don't then scrap the gunk off and pour it into lead ingots.

Just poured a bunch of no roll River sinkers for flat head fishing. At 3, 4, and 5 oz sinkers lead goes fast.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist_at_ia View Post
Right on...talked to my local plumber/electrician and he stops every so often to drop of a chunk of lead pipe that he cuts off from drains and stuff. Work great, I just melt it don't then scrap the gunk off and pour it into lead ingots.

Just poured a bunch of no roll River sinkers for flat head fishing. At 3, 4, and 5 oz sinkers lead goes fast.
the 3 4 and 5 oz no roll sinkers is what I use for saltwater fishing. if the op still wants sinker lead I have a bunch of bank sinkers made with mostly tire weights that i'll sell for 1.10 a lb with free shipping. or i'll let you buy the pie pan of coffee can with pure lead for 1.50 a lb with free shipping.