Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Glendo Reservoir 9.26.20 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 09-28-2020, 11:49 AM
Wallhanger

Default Glendo Reservoir 9.26.20

I took a father and his 2 college aged sons to Glendo this weekend. They had fished once on a trip to Mexico, and never fished fresh water.

They wanted to catch Walleye. I spent a few hours on Friday evening, teaching them how to cast spinning rods and bait casters in a hotel swimming pool. I showed them the proper techniques for the lures that we would be using.

Mother Nature was not going to be kind, but there was a small window available. We launched at 0715, and fishing by 0725. They wanted to catch them slabbing, and I found some fish in 30-35 fow. We had a few small bumps, but nothing hooked up.

I moved us and went to 11-25 fow and almost instantly we hooked up. We had to sort through tons of dinks, and I mean dinks!. 6"-12" Walleye, and small Perch. The 3 of them caught over 50 fish, and started bantering with each other. They ended up with 15 keeper eyes, and a few keeper sized Perch.

The wind came up around 10 am. And good God did it howl. It came on like a light switch, with people screaming to get to safe havens. It was blowing 25-35 mph, with gusts to 65.

The lake turned to 3-5' rollers in areas. The boys did not want to quit fishing, so I jumped into Reno Cove, just be a little more comfortable. They continued to fish there while I spot locked, and caught another 20 fish.

We called it a day and tried to go out for the evening bite. No bueno! Winds were 40 mph sustained with 70 mph gusts at times. The next morning the temp dropped to 30 with freezing rain and drizzle, and winds at 20. We pulled up to the boat ramp right at sun up, and I started sliding down the ramp, while trying to stand, as it was solid ice at the Marina. No way I was going to risk losing the truck and trailer sliding on ice into the drink.

The boys really only got to fish for a few hours on Sat am. They were so excited the entire trip, and said they could not wait to try it again.

The eyes are scattered everywhere in the lake, and with the lake being down so much, it is not hard to find active biters. Jigging Raps, slabs and spoons were the hot ticket. Color was not really a factor, they hit natural colors and bright colors. 10-20 fow found the most active fish.

Lots of Crappie around the Marina as well.

Water temp 63F.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like Wyoming.....

Is the Whiskey Gulch ramp still in the water?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Keeper

Beauty of a report! Freezing winds and ice in September are definitely Wyoming trademarks. Already thinking of bringing my boat next spring to hit the flooded cottonwoods. Glad you guys made it a fun and safe trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Wallhanger

Reno and Marina are good. Whiskey is sketch at best. If you know the lake you won't ground, but lots of rocks 6" under the water.
Lowrance Elite 9Ti2
Lowrance Elite FS9
Pulled by 2021 Chevy Trail Boss 6.2L