Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's - Page 45 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT Archives

Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Minnow

Thumbs up Wonderful world of Jig's

Guys and Gals,
I have used Gulp Alive 3 inch minnows , Smelt, dark back,slim brown spot for an inch and whiteish belly, I have been smakin the crappies and nice perch and many other kinds of fish, on them for the last few yrs. Last season I went thru 15 packs, yes , one at a time. And I left one minnow on one of my jigs to see what happens over months, and when I went to remove it last wk. on since end of Oct. , when my place in NY, closed for the season, I actually agree with all above guys when they are exposed to air they get hard, But I actually had to use a new utility knife blade to remove it and it took a while, unbelievClick image for larger version

Name:	photo (41).JPG
Views:	523
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	14721

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (44).JPG
Views:	500
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	14722

Name:	photo (24).JPG
Views:	500
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	14723

Name:	My biggest perch  ever  4 16  09.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	331.7 KB
ID:	14724

Name:	My wife w a 14 1 2 inch crappie   6 09.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	509.3 KB
ID:	14725able, I always remove the Gulp minnow from my hooks right away, changing baits or finished for the day, good habit to get into because they always get hard when exposed to air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Keeper

KSG

I guess I am wrong then. Probably because after using Gulp for so long I got into the habit of putting the Gulp and TX back in their containers as soon as I was done using them.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Slot Fish

new jigs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0636.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	465.3 KB
ID:	15017   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0637.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	15018  
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking jigs.

In the last few years, I have more or less used red thread for my winds on most patterns. I really don't know if it helps, but I lean towards the positive. Some folks think the red sort of imitates the gills, or perhaps a wound. Have to use some color, so why not red? (Or bright pink.)

Bill
Old 04-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Wallhanger

Looking to get into pouting my own jigs and wondered if you could use bird shot. I have several 25 pound bags of 7.5 shot that I will never use and wondered if this would work or if there were issues that I was not aware of?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Wallhanger

Had a second question. Has anyone used the glow pro tech paints? Especially at night or low light situations and how did they work for you? There was something called glow top coat. What is this? Do you need to put this over your glow paints? Thank you, Joe
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus Dog View Post
Looking to get into pouting my own jigs and wondered if you could use bird shot. I have several 25 pound bags of 7.5 shot that I will never use and wondered if this would work or if there were issues that I was not aware of?
I see no reason as long as it's lead shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus Dog View Post
Had a second question. Has anyone used the glow pro tech paints? Especially at night or low light situations and how did they work for you? There was something called glow top coat. What is this? Do you need to put this over your glow paints? Thank you, Joe
I have used glo white and glow chartruse I haven't used the top coat but plan on getting some to try.I wasn't real happy with the glow colors I tried.They didn't glow very long.
'
FC
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Minnow

The length of glow time is directly related to the power of the light source. There was a lot of discussion about this on a crappie fishing forum I used to frequent, but basically the brighter/ more powerful the LED light you use to activate the glow, the better results you will get. Also using a very thin base coat of white under the glow colors helps.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Location: Philadelphia PA Suburbs/The mighty Delaware/A dirty beach in Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
The length of glow time is directly related to the power of the light source. There was a lot of discussion about this on a crappie fishing forum I used to frequent, but basically the brighter/ more powerful the LED light you use to activate the glow, the better results you will get. Also using a very thin base coat of white under the glow colors helps.
I always thought they had chargers for the glow baits.So one of those tactical type flas lights would be best.I swear I saw something like a clicker that flashed a bright focused light to charge them.Interesting topic.

FC
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Minnow

Default Downrigger Fish weights

For all the lead melters and downrigger experts - I am new to both and would like to know what you guys think of the fish style weights? And which of the melting pots would you all recommend? It sounds like the bottom pour pots won't work for that size of weight?

Thanks for any input!