Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Offshore Planer Board Release Tension - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Keeper

Default Offshore Planer Board Release Tension

So I finally broke down and instead of using big planer boards I am going to give inline boards a try this year for walleye. I really wanted to give Sidewinders a try but with their low profile I am pretty sure someone would run into my lines given how much traffic there is on Lake St. Clair. Heck I’ve had some morons almost run their boards into my boat when they tried to cut in front of me and weren’t watching where they were going.

So I picked up some Offshore Boards and they came with the Tattle Flag, OR 19 release, and the OR 16 release with the post in it to keep the board from falling off the line. I couldn’t believe how hard it was to open these releases and since I fish with a bunch of older guys we just don’t have the strength in our hands like we use to and a bit of arthritis doesn’t help. One of my biggest concerns was the guys not getting the line behind the post on the OR 16 and I would be chasing boards all over the lake. While talking to one of my buddies he says to me “can’t you adjust the tension on the releases”, so sure enough I take a look at the release and you can move the spring. I’m sure somebody has mentioned this on the site but I never noticed and watching videos on using planer boards I’ve never seen it mentioned. In fact watched a great seminar online last night on planer boards and picked up some good tips but adjusting the tension on the release wasn’t mentioned. So I moved the spring in the release and what a difference and I don’t need pliers to open them up. Will probably have to make some adjustment on the OR 19 if the line releases from the front of the board to easily but going to give it a try.

I want the OR 19, which is their Heavy Release, to release the line so I have it set to the lightest tension. I know a lot of you use Offshore Boards and maybe the OR19, if so do you have any trouble with it releasing the line? I am currently using Sunline Mono, after reading that is what Juls uses, its 20 lb test. I know a lot of folks put different releases on the boards like the OR 39 and the OR 18 but I want to see if I can make these work.

Before anyone sends me the directions on the Offshore Releases after figuring this out I did take a look at them online and they clearly say they are adjustable. However in my defense the boards came pre assembled with the releases and Tattle Flags already installed and I don’t recall any instructions on the package. OK, who am I kidding I probably didn’t look for any directions and wouldn’t have read them anyway.

Thanks,
Donscs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2021, 04:50 PM
Wallhanger

Their site is a big help. I am old and I manage. I use OR 18's

Q&A: https://www.offshoretackle.com/quest...nerboards.html

Last edited by Ozark Bob; 03-18-2021 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Bad typing
Old 03-18-2021, 05:27 PM
Keeper

I use OR18’s as well, but another release you could use would be a Sams Pro Release. They have a tension screw on them to set as light as you want. One of my buddies uses them and has them set light so the fish trips it. Works awesome, especially when shuffling boards because the tripped board will fall straight behind the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2021, 06:21 PM
Wallhanger

I use the OR-18 release as well but I use it on the back off the board so I never lose it. My front release is a plain offshore release ( forget the number) no pin. When a walleye hits a quick snap of the rod releases the front and lets it float back for a bit and then it will come around and come straight in behind the boat, and you don't need to move other rods.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:51 PM
Wallhanger

https://youtu.be/TF1_aZ-RHsA
Old 03-18-2021, 07:27 PM
Minnow

I too use the OR18 releases and I loop the line around the bottom jaw so it doesn't slide down when using suffix 832 line. even my kids can unsnap them so that helps when running several lines out. I got some cabelas }pressure lock snaps" for snap weights and I think they would be awesome on planer boards if someone could fit them to them. I might try to do that this summer who knows. they have a cam lock system that is super easy to use and it won't come off.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:29 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairebear View Post
I use the OR-18 release as well but I use it on the back off the board so I never lose it. My front release is a plain offshore release ( forget the number) no pin. When a walleye hits a quick snap of the rod releases the front and lets it float back for a bit and then it will come around and come straight in behind the boat, and you don't need to move other rods.

this is interesting, does it work when running multiple boards? I would think you'd have to space them very far apart to keep from tangling.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:51 PM
Wallhanger

And here i thought we were going to double the Sidewinder users on this site, lol
9.9hp Tohatsu kicker
72" MK Ulterra Quest 36v
5 lithium batteries
MK PCL 460
Trollsmarter
3 12" graphs- Lowrance Live,Carbon and Simrad EVO 3
Simrad is40
Lowrance 3d
Airmar tm165hw
Lowrance 3in1
Lenco 4x12 trimtabs
Traxstech 72" tracks, Berts 24" tracks on each gunnel
2 Big Jon Capt packs riggers
Lowrance autopilot
MK 15' Talon
Old 03-19-2021, 04:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManDan View Post

That's the way I do it. Works great.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:57 AM
Wallhanger

When fishing offshore boards using the release method. There are at least four ways to handle them to keep from tangles. 1) do nothing and let the fish pull the board back out of the line. 2) turn boat away from the side the fish is on. 3) crank the line on the rod to the inside of the one with the fish that board will move up out of the way. 4) speed the boat up which will make all boards move forward.

The important thing is to keep the line with the fish from getting slack. Before pulling the rod with the fish out of the holder take a few spins of the reel handle to keep the tension on the fish. Also when releasing the board crank down pointing toward the board and once you feel it it get tight a simple flip back should cause the release. Often fishing with rookies I do let them release the board on lines closest to boat as no need and that is a time when fish get off.