Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Vertical jigging rod? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
I think this comes down to how you fish most of my fishing is done with 3/16 or less in current to me the medium is to stiff for casting and actually feeling the bait drift. I am not sure what you mean for bigger fish the MLXF loads up very well into the first one third of the rod but that is just me.

One thing I am getting a little perplexed how this 6'3' really got started I kind of know from many guides using them years ago and it was a thing. Me personnely I would take a 7' over a 6'3' any day as the newer boats are wider fishing 2 rods up front the 7' is better and the 7' does double duty for a much better pitching rod then a 6'3'.
Tom, fishing rods are like kinda like underwear. The have to be comfortable for each person.

Do you fish with St Croix rods, or another brand?

Persoonlaly, I've found that the MLXF (St Croix) is a little wimpy for me. The M power handles larger fish (mid to high 20s) a little better when fighting the fish, but doesn't seem to affect the sensitivity. I'm talking about vertical jigging here as the OP stated.

As for the length, the longer the rod, the further the vibrations have to travel, so I would think a longer rod would be less sensitive. Maybe not significantly less, but less sensitive the longer it is.

Again it's one of those "your mileage may vary".

Good luck this spring!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Wallhanger

I was recently gifted a Shimano Stradic 2500CI4+. I just don't have the kind of money to pay that much for a reel, but I wanted get a nicer rod for it. I picked up a 6'9" Fenwick HMG in ML-FS. It seemed perfectly balanced when I combined them at the store.

I have been using an IM8 graphite Guide Series combo for a good 10+ years and have caught a couple thousand walleyes on it. I replaced the reel a few years ago, with a Pflueger that was under $100. I primarily use 1/16 and 1/8oz jigs, occasionally up to 1/4oz if it's deep or windy.

Am I going to like this set up? Just wondering what the WC experts think. My father in law, who is full of it 99% of the time, says I should have returned it for a Stradic 1000. That seems like an ultralight reel to me.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Spanish View Post
I was recently gifted a Shimano Stradic 2500CI4+. I just don't have the kind of money to pay that much for a reel, but I wanted get a nicer rod for it. I picked up a 6'9" Fenwick HMG in ML-FS. It seemed perfectly balanced when I combined them at the store.

I have been using an IM8 graphite Guide Series combo for a good 10+ years and have caught a couple thousand walleyes on it. I replaced the reel a few years ago, with a Pflueger that was under $100. I primarily use 1/16 and 1/8oz jigs, occasionally up to 1/4oz if it's deep or windy.

Am I going to like this set up? Just wondering what the WC experts think. My father in law, who is full of it 99% of the time, says I should have returned it for a Stradic 1000. That seems like an ultralight reel to me.
Nobody?
Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Ricky, The 2500 CI4 and stradic 1000 weigh about the same, 6.7 and 6.9 OZ, so going to the smaller reel won't buy you anything on the weight side.

The 1000 shamanic is just to small for my hands, like using a toy.

In have three of the 2500 CI4 and like them very much.

I'd stay with the CI4 and Fenwick combo.

Good luck this spring!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 04-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

Thanks. That's what I thought, too. We were at our hunting shack when my father in law came back from town with another 1000 for his collection. I thought it was a gift for his nephew's young son and was surprised that it is the reel he prefers.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Keeper

Default Vertical Jigging Rod

I bought 2 of the St. Croix rods over the winter. The 6' 3" Eyecon and the Avid in the MLXF. I will tell you this. This is NOT a vertical jigging rod. A vertical jigging rod is 5'6" to 5'9" in my opinion, maybe 6'. These rods are buggy whips. I don't like them. If shipping wasn't so sky high right now the both of them would be on the swap board.

I think guys like this rod because it loads up easy and you can see subtle strikes with the rod loaded up.

I used the Eyecon again yesterday. I don't like it at all. My 6' Cabelas Tourney Trail is a better rod.

The Eyecon is made in Mexico by the way.

Meat Hunter
Old 05-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Hunter View Post
I bought 2 of the St. Croix rods over the winter. The 6' 3" Eyecon and the Avid in the MLXF. I will tell you this. This is NOT a vertical jigging rod. A vertical jigging rod is 5'6" to 5'9" in my opinion, maybe 6'. These rods are buggy whips. I don't like them. If shipping wasn't so sky high right now the both of them would be on the swap board.

I think guys like this rod because it loads up easy and you can see subtle strikes with the rod loaded up.

I used the Eyecon again yesterday. I don't like it at all. My 6' Cabelas Tourney Trail is a better rod.

The Eyecon is made in Mexico by the way.

Meat Hunter

Funny you say this as I also bought a couple eyecons over the winter. Prior to that I ran bass pro walleye series rods that I like a lot. I find these eyecons to not have near the feel of my bass pro series. They just don’t translate bites to your hand like I was expecting. I know this is actually a lower tier rod in their lineup, but I expected a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Slot Fish

I use three rods for Jigging a St Croix Avid a St Croix Legend and a Quantum Rod.
Buy the St Croix
Old 05-07-2019, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post
Ricky, The 2500 CI4 and stradic 1000 weigh about the same, 6.7 and 6.9 OZ, so going to the smaller reel won't buy you anything on the weight side.
This is maybe a bit misleading, as it's comparing a Stradic CI4 to the Stradic FK, which are two very different reels.

If you're looking for an apples to apples comparison, the actual specs are here - http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish...IC_CI4%2B.html

CI4 1000 - 5.6 oz
CI4 2500 - 6.7 oz

FK 1000 - 6.9 oz
FK 2500 - 8.3 oz

An ounce or two doesn't seem like much, but it adds up over an 8 hr day.

I'm a big fan of the 1000 size reels, ultra light and more than enough line capacity and drag power to get the job done. The only time I move up to the 2500 size is when the rod is primarily for casting bigger baits or for my jigging rap/spoon rods.

Waxy
Old 05-12-2019, 05:23 AM
Keeper

Default Vertical jigging rod

Whatever ya do, don't buy a Diawa Revros LT. I just bought a 1000 and it doesn't hold 1/2 the 125 yard spool of Fireline in 8lb. Are you kidding me?

Me looking for new reel now.....

Meat Hunter