Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Semi-auto shot guns (gas or inertia) - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 10-05-2020, 09:42 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman1792 View Post
That Franchi Affinit is a nice gun but so is the Marocchi super start super magnum. Unfortunatlly the Franchi can only take up to 3 inch where the marocchi is a magnum and can shoot 3 1/2 inch and is a few hundred cheaper.
Both have 5 star rating on cabelas.

Fisherman 1792
Full disclosure I purchased a 20 at Shields , had stock of just about every brand. Cabala's had one 20 auto in stock. Also the gun I wanted had a very small nick ,instant $100.00 discount. Also double the trade value at Shields . No more Cabala's for me.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2020, 07:54 PM
Wallhanger

I use an 11-87 for waterfowl it’s a great gun but It’s hard to beat a pump in nasty weather. I suspect your gun has gotten moisture in it which is causing your firing pin to stick. Before I hunt in nasty cold weather I degrease my gun and lightly lubricate it with a quality lube like Rem oil then I wipe any excess off.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:14 PM
Wallhanger

I'm a HUGE fan of Benelli, but I think if you are looking for reliability in a waterfowl gun with questionable weather, it's hard to beat a pump.

Assuming your "POS" Remington is an 870, that is one of the best scatter guns ever built (especially if it is an older model). Not trying to throw shade, but if your 870 didn't fire, it is pretty likely a maintenance issue, which is only going to be worse with an automatic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2020, 04:19 AM
Wallhanger

I'm pretty sure its an 870 i'll have to look at it again. It did start to act up before the duck hunt when I was skeet shooting and just thought it was the cheap shells I bought and never thought nothing of it. Some of the other guys had semi-auto's and they had no issues at all. I was the only one that had issues.
Also looking at the Canuck Hunter in semi-auto but cant find any reviews on it and its at a small gun shop, not in the big box stores so if I have any questions I should be able to talk to someone that has experience and/or maybe custom fit it for me.

Fisherman 1792
Old 10-06-2020, 06:48 AM
Wallhanger

Default Semi-auto shot guns (gas or inertia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBin303 View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Benelli, but I think if you are looking for reliability in a waterfowl gun with questionable weather, it's hard to beat a pump.

Assuming your "POS" Remington is an 870, that is one of the best scatter guns ever built (especially if it is an older model). Not trying to throw shade, but if your 870 didn't fire, it is pretty likely a maintenance issue, which is only going to be worse with an automatic.

I left well enough alone but thought the exact same thing on that Remington. I’m not saying there are not any bad ones out there, but I’ve had and dealt with many and have never heard of and issue with an 870. I would venture to say it is the best pump shotgun made.

In the case of this particular gun it almost sounds like a bad firing pin short striking the prime, or maybe a spring. Probably ten dollars to have it running strong again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 10-06-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWarrior View Post
I left well enough alone but thought the exact same thing on that Remington. I’m not saying there are not any bad ones out there, but I’ve had and dealt with many and have never heard of and issue with an 870. I would venture to say it is the best pump shotgun made.

In the case of this particular gun it almost sounds like a bad firing pin short striking the prime, or maybe a spring. Probably ten dollars to have it running strong again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also love the 870 pump. I used to hunt waterfowl in Saskatchewan for 5 days every fall. I would bring an 870 Supermagnum and two 11-87 semiautos as backup guns. The only time the 11-87s came out of their cases was when my partner's shotguns failed to work.

Before every season, I would pull out the 870's bolt and clean it thoroughly, same thing with the trigger group. It was (and still is) very reliable.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Wallhanger

Franchi 20g for me as it’s less than 6#.

Also agree Scheels is way better than cabelas and bass pro who are famous for sales but not in stock.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Wallhanger

Ok, I was wrong on the model of the Remington it's not an 870 like I presumed it's an M887 Remington, (my bad).
My buddy that I have known for over 30 years has the 870 and he loves it.
I did take the 887 and put a couple of 2 3/4 #6 shot through it this fall and it worked good. So I dont know maybe it was acting up when it was only cold.
Anyways I did get a franchi semiautomatic affinity in 3.5 and we got back from duck hunting a couple of days ago and that gun performed flawlessly! I cant say anything bad about it. Got it at BPS over a month ago (dont have sheels here in Canada). That gun fired everything so far that I have put in it and not one miss fire, I would recommend franchi. I have used it clay shooting in cooler weather and no problems with it.
I'll have to take the 887 out to camp this winter and try it out there clay shooting to see if I can get it to do the same as it did last year.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Wallhanger

Ok, I was wrong on the model of the Remington it's not an 870 like I presumed it's an M887 Remington, (my bad).
My buddy that I have known for over 30 years has the 870 and he loves it.
I did take the 887 and put a couple of 2 3/4 #6 shot through it this fall and it worked good. So I dont know maybe it was acting up when it was only cold.
Anyways I did get a franchi semiautomatic affinity in 3.5 and we got back from duck hunting a couple of days ago and that gun performed flawlessly! I cant say anything bad about it. Got it at BPS over a month ago (dont have sheels here in Canada). That gun fired everything so far that I have put in it and not one miss fire, I would recommend franchi. I have used it clay shooting in cooler weather and no problems with it.
I'll have to take the 887 out to camp this winter and try it out there clay shooting to see if I can get it to do the same as it did last year.

Fisherman 1792
Old 11-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97roughneck View Post
For what it's worth, I had an 870. Thought I'd upgrade so I bought a semi-auto. Can't remember the make but it was an exact rip-off replica of a Belgium Browning. That darn thing would jam at least once every hunting trip.

Sold it on a gun auction and been using the 870 ever since.
A5 G or R maybe? I had one and yea, it was a SOB.
NPAA #950
Fish On!