Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What has most improved your fishing? - Page 6 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 08-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by five in the box View Post
Agree with time on the water which teaches fish behavior but just as important the diminishing art of boat control. I would add one I haven’t heard which is attention to detail. Depth, color, presentation, impact of weather, impact of fishing pressure, water clarity impact, etc. I’ve gotten much better at predicting where fish will be based on what I’ve learned and it makes trips more productive.
This ^^^ plus good notes. Before every trip back to any lake I re-read my notes from all of the past trips to that lake. I keep logs if only for my memories when one day I will no longer make these trips and memories are all that is left.

My notes are written usually before I turn in for the night and are not super detailed, but include anything unusual or just note worthy that happened that day. I include climatic information from that day, where we fished, depths, etc.. Sometimes I forget about a particular spot or something I've tried that was successful and re-reading my log books jogs my memory. Many times I draw a map sketch of the area that was new to me or wind was hitting it a certain way that really changed things good or bad. I've noticed that some lakes have a more predominant preference for a particular lure, color or what ever. Without notes, I would probably not have picked up on that.

It only takes about five minutes and kind of summarizes the day. I'm always surprised at how often I come across something that I had truly forgotten about and was successful.

My first log predating 2007 has been lost. Hoping that one day I will find it ratted away someplace where I put it so I would not lose it...........

Pooch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing logs.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	477.4 KB
ID:	328720  

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."

Last edited by Pooch; 08-16-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2021, 04:37 PM
Keeper

I agree with the log book. Great for referral or reliving the old days, also for settling things by the record and not our poor memories. Started mine in 2002 As a gift from the kids. Once I'm dead they can relive my fishing exploits. On volume 4 now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16291532704596781334805981371410_1629153305873.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	328722  
Old 08-17-2021, 08:14 AM
Wallhanger

Electronics!! FT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Slot Fish

Default Nailed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Krejca View Post
As I stated earlier, learning the habits/peculiarities/why fish act as they do, etc helps me to fish smarter(?). As a result, the use of improved tackle and other gadgets to take advantage of this increasing knowledge enables the better use of said fish understanding.

Bill

Bill Krejca nailed it. If you understand the target species basic biology, behavioral characteristics and the habitats that they will use during these behaviors you will be much more successful catching the target species.

I see anglers fishing is areas (habitats) that don't hold the fish they are targeting during the time they are fishing that area and they are frustrated because they don't catch fish.

Buffalo Fishhead
Old 08-18-2021, 09:59 PM
Wallhanger

A divorce!! Gave me all sorts of "me time" to be out on a lake. Took 10 yrs off though to raise my kids & I'm out as much as possible again

Upgrading rods & reels made a really big difference. I set aside old GLoomis GL3s and replaced them with NRXs, NRX+s & GLXs instead for the most part. Even reels became so much lighter over the years- my favorite 11 oz reel is now 5 oz. Just so balanced with using those combinations now. For the occasional buddy who joins, having some good spare rods has helped them also. Gave my brother-in-law a few IMX Pros & he fell in love--- gotta like the trickle effect to others, right?

Even really inexpensive rods became super sensitive compared to before that 10 yr hiatus

Happy fishing!!

Last edited by FinmanPoozie; 08-18-2021 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Minnow

Upgrading equipment as funds allow. Willing to learn/take advice from other successful fisherman. Learning to not be so serious and have more fun has helped tremendously. Not saying be sloppy but once I quit fishing like it was life or death and just enjoying the day it seems like my success rate went up.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:23 AM
Minnow

Besides the usual answers like electronics and trolling motors etc., I would have to say that my brother and son has forced me to up my game fishing.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude on Fish View Post
It's incorrect to say going more often makes you better. You can do something a million times and still suck at it.
Can you name anything where you probably won't get better by keep doing it? (I cannot... everything naturally gets better over time)

Or, can you name anything where someone does it once or rarely & keeps getting better at it? (I cannot)

Happy fishing!!
Old 08-22-2021, 12:03 AM
Keeper

Default Improved

Spider wire and sonar!
Old 09-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Keeper

LCD sounder with GPS.