Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Totem Lodge July 20 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 AM
Minnow

Default Totem Lodge July 20

Heading up to fish this area July 20 and bringing my 20' walleye boat. Just thought I would ask about tips like "head west" "Yellow Bird Bay" "Deep" "Weeds" anything to help my wife and I. Also would consider a local guide that is not a Totem guide. Finally, anyone want to PM me with advice and conversation? Many Thanks
Old 03-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

Great Lodge. Great service. Great food.

Be prepared for a long boat ride, every day.

Walleyes will be on humps. Find a good one and be first the next morning.
Get up early if you want to be first.

Equip your boat with a strong electric motor and splash guards so you
can hold your spot when there's good wave action. That's when fish
will be eating.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78dave View Post
Heading up to fish this area July 20 and bringing my 20' walleye boat. Just thought I would ask about tips like "head west" "Yellow Bird Bay" "Deep" "Weeds" anything to help my wife and I. Also would consider a local guide that is not a Totem guide. Finally, anyone want to PM me with advice and conversation? Many Thanks
We will be staying at Totem's Wiley Point 6/29 - 7/7 and have been going there since 2000. Give me a PM if you want more info. If you want the better fishing, I'd say stay at Wiley Point. There is no long boat ride to fish. Either way you will really enjoy the service, the food and they will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 03:25 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

I am seeing that most have to head west out of long bay to Yellow bird. I also note that the guides out of totem don't go out until 8. So early I agree. I am thinking about bringing my 21' walleye boat from Missouri as it has all I need with a 150 outboard. Long trip at 900 miles. What ten miles out of the bay? I fish South Dakota and run 10 - 12 miles no problem. Not sure if speed limits exist though. Boat rental at Totem lists it at $415 for a full day. Not sure whats up with that
Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM
Wallhanger

Sent a PM with some thoughts.

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 AM
Wallhanger

Totem's business model is guided.

Wylie Point Lodge us smack in the middle of great walleye fishing, it's on the west side of the are south of the Barrier Islands, about a 10-12 mile ride from Sioux Narrows, but a beautiful ride. I run about the same distance virtually every weekend from Kenora and think nothing of it.

Food is great at all the Totem lodges, accommodations are very nice. They also have a do it yourself island camp called french narrows I think that is somewhere near Wylie point.

Personally I would call them, make a bring your own boat deal maybe with a guide for the first two days included.
MinnKota Terrova 80/60/24 ipilot
Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Slot Fish

I know a guide.
Haven't fished with him, bought his old boat.

http://www.davebennettoutdoors.com/
https://www.facebook.com/DaveBennettOutdoors/
Old 04-05-2019, 05:30 AM
Keeper

We ran from crystal harbor to red Cliff last August one day. I have a tiller with a 90hp and cruise around 25-30mph. Fairly certain it took around 45 minutes.

I have an old navionics chip with a navigational trail. Had no issues. I will say you should spend time getting familiar with the bouy system as it would be easy to mess up but also easy to follow. I thought they switched out at whitefish narrows so search that.

Water stayed blue out to the smiley face and then turned tanin. Nice water out there but we sure didn’t find many Muskies.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Minnow

Default Totem

I ordered the LOW Whitefish Bay 6213 chart map to go with the Fishing Hot Spots maps I got earlier. I am still really thinking about getting a chart plotter GPS. I just bought a new Garmin Stryker 7 that does not have an SD card slot thinking I would never need it. Well I should have spent more, but limited Cabelas points to use. I am looking online for one and then get a card so I have the lake mapped. The comment about getting in trouble off course makes a lot of sense but at idle that might ding a prop, but not tear off a lower end.

What I want to find as well are the buoy GPS coordinates. I assume those are fixed and don't move too far?

Old 04-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Wallhanger

Howdy,

Respectfully speaking, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a GPS capable sonar unit and using the Navionics+ mapping software for that area, particularly since Lakemaster is limited in its LOTW courage.

I fish out of Witch Bay but have been as far as Totem on long runs and frequently see their boats, overloaded for comfortable fishing as they cram as many people into them as possible (at least the ones I have seen).

Having said that, I think (again respectfully) you would be crazy to drive on LOTW without a GPS and navigation software.

The lake is big, rocky, and dangerous if you don't know where you are all the time. For your safety and the happiness your vacation is supposed to bring I highly advise spending the money.

Take care,

Ruddiger

Tags
totem