Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Nitro ZV 21 vs Ranger 621fs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Minnow

Default Nitro ZV 21 vs Ranger 621fs

This winter I am planning on purchasing a new multi species boat. I have narrowed my choices down to the Nitro ZV 21 or the Ranger 621 FS. This being based on overall layout as well as what I am looking to accomplish with it. I would fish walleye, bass as well as trout and salmon on the great lakes with the boat. If possible I would like to get some opinions on the pros and cons of each. I have only rode in the Nitro thus far but would like to get into the Ranger before purchasing. One reason I may lean towards the ranger is fact that you can purchase with the new Evinrude Gen 2. Are there any other boats in this class I should also be looking at? Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Keeper

How long do you plan to keep boat? Resale would be a huge difference to consider. From what I have seen the Ranger holds its value pretty good.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:05 AM
Minnow

That is also something I am learning as I dig a little deeper, the rangers will hold value longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Wallhanger

There s a noticable difference in price points. The fit/finish on the Ranger will be a marked improvement from the Nitro. There is nothing wrong with the Nitro, it is a fine vessel but like most things in life you get what you pay for and with the Ranger it shows in the details. If these differences do not justify the cost for you I think you would be happy with the Nitro. The resale comment above is very valid. Depending on how long you plan to keep the boat it may be actually cheaper in the long run to buy the Ranger if you plan on flipping the boat within 5-7 years.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Wallhanger

There is no doubt that the better value in the long run is the Ranger. Resale is better. They are far better backed. The fit and finish is not comparable. If you can afford the Ranger, go for it. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Slot Fish

Default Skeeter?

I know it doesn't have the Evinrude option but, have you had a chance to look at Skeeters line-up? Multi-species MX2025 or even the WX 2190. I have fished Lake Superior up near Isle Royale in a Skeeter MX 2025 paired with a Yamaha F300 and never doubted my safety. I think you owe it to yourself to take a ride in a Skeeter before you purchase. Resale is still strong with Skeeters as well
Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Minnow

Any opinions on an engine for the ranger? There seems to be a lot of hype around the new Evenrude Gen 2.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Lots of info and talk out there on the new ETEC G2, but not a lot of real world data yet. From what I've seen and read though, the G2 will be on my next boat. The power, fuel economy, and the new trim and power steering features are pretty amazing, and I personally really like the look of them too.

You might want to have a look at the Warriors, either the 203 or the 21-21 would fit the bill nicely, and they're available with the new G2 right from the factory.

Waxy
Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan 21 View Post
Any opinions on an engine for the ranger? There seems to be a lot of hype around the new Evenrude Gen 2.
My pick would be the G2. Vrod would be second.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Wallhanger

I run a Vrod on my Ranger and would get another. If you want a 4 Stroke both Yami & Merc make great options. If you want a 2 stroke the Etec or XS Merc are both great options. Are you looking to put a 300 on the 621/Nitro?