Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
G. Loomis NRX 822S SYR vs St. Croix Legend Elite/X 6'10 MLXF for Pitching Jigs - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-11-2020, 12:13 PM
Keeper

Default G. Loomis NRX 822S SYR vs St. Croix Legend Elite/X 6'10 MLXF for Pitching Jigs

Hey folks,

Looking for feedback/opinions on the NRX 822S SYR versus the St. Croix Legend Elite or Legend X in 6'10" MLXF for pitching jigs.

Rod will be used exclusively for pitching 1/8oz to 1/4oz jig/leech, jig/minnow, jig/plastic, or hair jigs in shallow (16 feet or less) for walleyes. Thinking I will mostly be using braid for this, but I know there are still huge debates on whether mono or braid is better for pitching, so I guess I'm open to suggestions. All my rods get shimano stradics, if that matters any.

Currently own 2 legend extremes. One 7' MF with 10lb braid for rattle baits, jigging raps, blade baits, and swimbaits/heavier jigs. One 7' MLF with 6lb mono for rigging. I am very familiar with high end St. Croixs and the feel that comes with them, but I have no experience with that 6'10 MLXF blank.

I also have never used an NRX, or even a GLX for that matter. I have an E6X 6'3 for vertical jigging and absolutely love that stick, and after using a few high end St. Croixs for jigging, honestly think I like the mid-range loomis better. For some reason the loomis blanks feel more "crisp" to me than the St Croixs do.

Sorry for the long post, but at well over $500 Canadian a rod, I'm doing as much research as possible so that I find the perfect stick for this application.

Cheers,
RJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

RJR,
I have been in your exact shoes and have both of the rods you mention.

I will simply say this.

The Loomis rod stays in the shop when I go fishing. The St. Croix is in my hand most of the time.

You are correct about feel.

But to catch the fish, I simply feel more comfortable with the St. Croix and the St. Croix is in the boat any time that i go fishing.

In years past, the Loomis has also put lots and lots of fish in the boat, but, now - for whatever reason, I just like using the St. Croix better.

I really don't know why I like the St. Croix better - but I do.

A lot of fishing is about confidence. If you feel confident about a rod, it just seems that you catch more fish with it.

However I will say that if I fished both the Loomis and the St. Croix on alternate casts, I would guess that I would catch an equal number of fish on both rods.

Be safe
Old 04-11-2020, 02:35 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
Hey folks,

Looking for feedback/opinions on the NRX 822S SYR versus the St. Croix Legend Elite or Legend X in 6'10" MLXF for pitching jigs.

Rod will be used exclusively for pitching 1/8oz to 1/4oz jig/leech, jig/minnow, jig/plastic, or hair jigs in shallow (16 feet or less) for walleyes. Thinking I will mostly be using braid for this, but I know there are still huge debates on whether mono or braid is better for pitching, so I guess I'm open to suggestions. All my rods get shimano stradics, if that matters any.

Currently own 2 legend extremes. One 7' MF with 10lb braid for rattle baits, jigging raps, blade baits, and swimbaits/heavier jigs. One 7' MLF with 6lb mono for rigging. I am very familiar with high end St. Croixs and the feel that comes with them, but I have no experience with that 6'10 MLXF blank.

I also have never used an NRX, or even a GLX for that matter. I have an E6X 6'3 for vertical jigging and absolutely love that stick, and after using a few high end St. Croixs for jigging, honestly think I like the mid-range loomis better. For some reason the loomis blanks feel more "crisp" to me than the St Croixs do.

Sorry for the long post, but at well over $500 Canadian a rod, I'm doing as much research as possible so that I find the perfect stick for this application.

Cheers,
RJR
I love the NRX. The lightest, most sensitive, and most comfortable rods I’ve ever used.

I’d also look at the 802S JWR, it’s a little softer for finesse jig fishing.

Waxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2020, 05:47 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
RJR,
I have been in your exact shoes and have both of the rods you mention.

I will simply say this.

The Loomis rod stays in the shop when I go fishing. The St. Croix is in my hand most of the time.

You are correct about feel.

But to catch the fish, I simply feel more comfortable with the St. Croix and the St. Croix is in the boat any time that i go fishing.

In years past, the Loomis has also put lots and lots of fish in the boat, but, now - for whatever reason, I just like using the St. Croix better.

I really don't know why I like the St. Croix better - but I do.

A lot of fishing is about confidence. If you feel confident about a rod, it just seems that you catch more fish with it.

However I will say that if I fished both the Loomis and the St. Croix on alternate casts, I would guess that I would catch an equal number of fish on both rods.

Be safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
I love the NRX. The lightest, most sensitive, and most comfortable rods I’ve ever used.

I’d also look at the 802S JWR, it’s a little softer for finesse jig fishing.

Waxy
Thanks for the replies both REW and Waxy. Although I did just recently make an account on walleye central, I actually have been a long time reader/follower of the forum. I recognize both of your usernames, and I know you guys are both genuine people that give awesome advice.

Turns out my one buddy has the 6'10 MLXF in a legend extreme. We are going to go out opening day here in Sask and I'm going to try pitching with that blank and see how it like it. I'm sure I'll be satisfied, but if I feel that the NRX could be better, then I'll likely go with it instead.

Thanks again for the feedback and for sharing all your knowledge guys. It is much appreciated!

Cheers,
RJR
Old 04-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Keeper

I have the 822 SYR, fantasic rod. The loads up perfectly on a hook set and throws that weight of jigs great. I have it paired with a Daiwa Exist 3000. It does start feeling a tad overloaded when you get to the 3/8 oz range. It can still do it though. I would take (and have taken) the NRX over the legend elite for this instance. I have several legend elites for other applications.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:08 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moff View Post
I have the 822 SYR, fantasic rod. The loads up perfectly on a hook set and throws that weight of jigs great. I have it paired with a Daiwa Exist 3000. It does start feeling a tad overloaded when you get to the 3/8 oz range. It can still do it though. I would take (and have taken) the NRX over the legend elite for this instance. I have several legend elites for other applications.

Thanks for the feedback Moff. I would love to just have each of them side by side in the boat, but doing so would cost a fair amount of money! Luckily this rod would just be 1/8 and 1/4oz jigs.

What applications are you all running legend elites for?

Thanks,
RJR
Old 04-11-2020, 06:15 PM
Keeper

The 7’ ML legend elite for lindy rigging. Also The legend elite musky rods 8’6” H and MH. Really enjoy those.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:53 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJR View Post
I would love to just have each of them side by side in the boat, but doing so would cost a fair amount of money!
I can probably make this happen.

PM sent.

Waxy
Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 PM
Wallhanger

Awww what the heck, get them both!!
There is no honor in being the richest guy in the cemetery
Old 04-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Wallhanger

Loomis WAY WAY WAY before croix. Have never been impressed with a croix rod sensitivity wise. They have good actions, tapers, decent build, but the sensitivity is way down the rank from rods of similar price points.
BT terrova link