Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Boat Lift - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 AM
Minnow

Default Boat Lift

I am a soon to be first time cabin owner with no knowledge of boat lifts. The Seller has a 3000 lb lift that she'd like to sell. My 2013 Lund Pro Guide and Merc 150 weight 1900 lbs. Will this lift handle my rig loaded with gear? Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Wallhanger

Should be fine. I usually look at roughly 75%-80% of the rating as the max I would want to put on it to avoid premature wear. In this case that’s abou 2400 lbs. I’m guessing you don’t have 500 lbs of gear stowed in your boat. I would probably raise and lower it without people loaded up though. You can go right to the limit I suppose but I try to keep some margin.

I started out with a manual hoist and then went with an electric and wouldn’t go back. Mine is a Floe. Is has adjustable leg heights from above the water so you don’t need to go for a swim and try to get the pin through the legs underwater if you need to change the height.

Instagram: @harderoutdoors
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Keeper

How much is she offering it to you for?

I would try to negotiate.

Around here boat lifts are pretty easily available and alot of folks can't get rid of them.

Call her bluff and say that you have one that you can get from a friend for cheap or something like that. I'm guessing she in no way wants to deal with the process of trying to sell it to another 3rd party. If she doesn't sell it then she's pretty much stuck with it and getting it off the property before you close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2018, 05:58 PM
Keeper

Be sure it is wide enough and when you calculate your fuel weight. Also check the cable. Stainless is far better than galvanized.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:42 PM
Keeper

If the lift is steel, I would pass on it. I had a 3000# steel shore station and it took a crew of 6 strong young guys to move it up onto the shoreline at season end.......bought an aluminum lift and the optional wheel kit and 2 of us old guys took it in and out with the help of a come-along......besides..the steel lift needed painting and scraping for maintenance.....if the lift is aluminum....bargain on it like already suggested.....when I sold my last cabin, I included lifts and dock in the price rather that screw with selling and removal deadlines.....the current owner of your lift most likely harbors the same thoughts....good luck...enjoy your new adventure........
Old 05-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Wallhanger

The capacity will be just fine. But look at what lift it is. Shorestation is probably the best out there. Steel, I would avoid. Too heavy and rot out over time. Make sure all cables are in good conditions, pulleys are turning well and the welds are not cracked (I have had to deal with this, PIA). Otherwise they are pretty basic. New, most good lifts go for a little over with their capacity is. At least that was the cost when I looked last. So a 3000# lift would be about $3K.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:25 AM
Wallhanger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J Johnson View Post
I am a soon to be first time cabin owner with no knowledge of boat lifts. The Seller has a 3000 lb lift that she'd like to sell. My 2013 Lund Pro Guide and Merc 150 weight 1900 lbs. Will this lift handle my rig loaded with gear? Thanks for any input!
the weight for the lift sounds fine for your rig , as others have said if it is a Steel lift pass on it as no one wants them anymore for all of the reasons already stated by other posters , as others have said make sure it is wide enough for your boat , check the cables , shoremaster cables are very expensive and not easy to replace , I would suggest you check Craigslist boats and Boat parts to get an idea for the value in your area , I have purchased a Shoremaster used for $900 and sold a Shore station for $1500 so prices used can vary from year to year . Again if it is steel avoid it as most lift installers refuse to install them and no one who knows wants to buy them, around here ( central Minnesota ) they are sold for scrap . Enjoy that cabin when my wife retired we sold the house in St Cloud and moved into the cabin in summer and AZ in winter we could not be happier .