Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Spawning Suckers - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Keeper

Default Spawning Suckers

This past weekend I was working on my dock and heard splashing along the shore near my neighbor's dock and found a large number of suckers going through their spring ritual up against the shoreline. They were in a couple of inches water. We have had our cabin for 20 years and never saw this before. Always thought suckers had to have moving water to spawn. Any thoughts what might have caused these fish to move to shoreline locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

I grew up watching suckers spawn in the rock and gravel bottom. They come every year, and are just finishing up. There is not current, but it is wind swept. They make large holes that the blue gills use after the suckers leave.
As a kid my golden retriever and now my labs love to stand in the water and catch the suckers. Looks like a bear catching salmon.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Keeper

Last spring I was on Big Round Sawyer Co Wi. and the suckers were making all kinds of commotion on long stretches of the shore. It was later in the morning when the light changed and I could clearly see that it was suckers, in the mean time I thought I'd hit the mother load and pitched tubes at them in frustration. As the sun got higher the musky and northern were also seen lurking out and deeper and waiting for a meal or digesting one. My thought is that on that lake, Big Round, has only an outflow and dam that controls lake level (that I am aware of anyway) I have no idea how long they take to spawn but I had never seen it before either. I too believe that suckers prefer the streams where available