Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anyone try Sonar Phone By Vexilar? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Default Anyone try Sonar Phone By Vexilar?

I bought a Tbox 200 hooked it up on my boat and ran with my Ipad and navionics app. So far I like it a lot. I like the fact it is wireless via wifi. I can watch the sonar from any position on the boat instead of needing front and rear sonar. The mapping ability is sweet also sonar charts live. Amazing how much technology is out there now days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Slot Fish

I have one. I like it a lot too. Combined with the Navionics "Boating" app it I find it very useful. I like creating my own maps.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

I'm not too big into ice fishing, but I do get out there once or twice each winter. Never have wanted to spend very much on sonar equipment, because it wouldn't get used enough to justify the cost. That Sonar Phone T-Pod looks like it might be just the ticket. I wonder if it's hardy enough to drop into a hole in the ice. Anyone ever try it? Maybe it's too new for winter reviews.
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

The SonarPhone and the Navionics app are an awesome combo. You could lower the Transducer down the hole on a board and use it for ice fishing. You will have to keep the transducer flat.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:25 AM
Wallhanger

I don't know about for ice fishing with sonar phone, but just the navionics lake map app is great for finding your fishing spot, hopefully your smart phone / ipad has gps. You could find a used flasher for ice fishing probly for the $150 cost of a Tbox 200. On a boat I think it is the coolest thing I have bought in a long time.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyGPA View Post
I have one. I like it a lot too. Combined with the Navionics "Boating" app it I find it very useful. I like creating my own maps.
Yup lots of lakes by me are uncharted, or very poor 50 year old maps.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I've used it ice fishing (not map making) next to an LX5, FL18, FL20 and Hummin bird. If you want to use it for "fishing" then IMO it sucks, compared to real units. But it works, though slow, and pretty pixely. That was last year, maybe they updated it somewhat.

It works, so maybe if you aren't big into ice fishing it would be cheap way to go. But if you have used Vex or Marcum any amount of time, you will be disappointed, IMHO.

'97 Alumacraft TP175 w/ Merc 150efi - now an oldie but goodie...
'12 SouthBay 522F w/ Merc 60 Bigfoot 4S - fishing 'toon...
'82 Alumacraft Classic 16 w/ Merc Classic 50 - rehabbed ducker!
and a fleet of duck boats!
Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Wallhanger

I went to a outfitter this summer with this and it works pretty good and I took the opportunity to record on my Boating app on a lake without any chart; so now there is a chart.

Perfect tool for any lodge owner that need some charts on theire lakes.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Keeper

It has worked well for me too. I own a small resort and putting them on my rental boats so customers with a smart phone have a gps/chartplotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 AM
Slot Fish

Box:

They have upgraded the app. I have an older version on an old iPad and the newest version on a newer iPad and iphone and the new version is not as "pixely" That said I have not used one of the more modern Lowrance or Humminbird units that are available so I cannot compare.

My other sonar unit is a 2002 Eagle 320 pixel sonar that also works just fine for me.

What hooked me with the Sonarphone was the ability to make my own maps for $199.00. I have a small local lake that I have been wanting to map out for years.

Roy