Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
When will Mercury have the Verado V8 in 350+ HP? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Minnow

Yes, maybe more specifically, looking at possibly trading in my current Ranger for a new 621 but wondering if Mercury may be close to updating the 350hp Verado(as they have in motors up to 300hp) to the naturally aspirated V8.

I have heard mostly positive reviews by those using the new V8 Mercs and wondering how long I would have to wait for them to have the same technology available in the 350 hp to hang on the back of a new 621.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehawk42 View Post
Yes, maybe more specifically, looking at possibly trading in my current Ranger for a new 621 but wondering if Mercury may be close to updating the 350hp Verado(as they have in motors up to 300hp) to the naturally aspirated V8.

I have heard mostly positive reviews by those using the new V8 Mercs and wondering how long I would have to wait for them to have the same technology available in the 350 hp to hang on the back of a new 621.
We're in the exact same boat so to speak.

I've got some time before I need to make a final decision, so hopefully Merc makes an announcement sooner rather than later.

Waxy
Old 11-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Wallhanger

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Ahhh, no, but thanks for the link.

Read the thread again. The entire discussion was about whether the eventual replacement for the L6 Verado 350 and 400 will be naturally aspirated, or whether it'll be supercharged, like the new 450.

Turbo vs supercharger was a side tangent...

Waxy
Right on
Verados are great in Colorado. But if I lived in the flatlands I would prefer no blower also.

I think either boat would run fine with a 300
BT terrova link
Old 12-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Keeper

SLE the problem with turbos is two things one is Turbos need to be in the exhaust stream to power them this would require a major redesign of the engine also turbos are big because they are round and would require a much bigger cowling for them and all of the heat they produce and necessary piping that would be required. There are a few companies that make belt driven turbos but you would still need space for the turbo and piping.

Last edited by Uncle Paul; 12-03-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

I'll agree to disagree with you Uncle Paul, Turbos are way more compact than super chargers, they're not even close. The rest is just plumbing. On a V motor, you invert the heads so the exhaust flows into the valley, pack the turbo(s) in the valley and you have virtually no wasted space, coupled with short piping and the current turbo technology makes low end lag an after thought, and you want you can compound them or run dual scroll system depending on the intended power delivery and torque curve. Case in point, just use the newer 6.7 Power-stroke as an example, turbos are in the engine valley. Cooling could be accommodated very easily with ample cold lake water with an open loop water cooled system versus that of a closed loop cooling system in an auto application. There are a ton of reasons it would make a lot of sense. when Honda made the Turbo version of it's aquatrax PWC, they were on to something.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Keeper

Ok sounds good to agree to disagree-But I can’t agree that a turbo and all of its plumbing will take up less room in a cowling. Take the intake off your v-block motor and bolt a supercharger like the one installed on my Verado and you are done (we know it’s not that simple as we need fuel lines and wiring ) now to install a turbo you need to manifold the exhaust into a single pipe to feed the turbo then pipe that exhaust through the engine chest to where it exits at the prop, then you have to plumb the pressured air from the turbo to the intake ports and with all that plumbing that’s why I think Merc goes with a supercharger. Not saying it can’t be done, we know it can but how big would that cowling be and would use of the engine on the multi engine boats be limited
Old 12-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Wallhanger

While getting my oil changed today, I picked up a fishing magazine and noticed that Mercury has a 450R Supercharged 4.6 liter V8. Won't be long before they are offered to the everyday boater/fisherman as a answer to the Yamaha 425hp V8
Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
You guys missed this somehow?

Old news.... https://www.powerboat-world.com/news...utboard-engine

Price is crazy iirc. Like 45k range?
52+K.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2019, 01:01 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLE View Post
I'll agree to disagree with you Uncle Paul, Turbos are way more compact than super chargers, they're not even close. The rest is just plumbing. On a V motor, you invert the heads so the exhaust flows into the valley, pack the turbo(s) in the valley and you have virtually no wasted space, coupled with short piping and the current turbo technology makes low end lag an after thought, and you want you can compound them or run dual scroll system depending on the intended power delivery and torque curve. Case in point, just use the newer 6.7 Power-stroke as an example, turbos are in the engine valley. Cooling could be accommodated very easily with ample cold lake water with an open loop water cooled system versus that of a closed loop cooling system in an auto application. There are a ton of reasons it would make a lot of sense. when Honda made the Turbo version of it's aquatrax PWC, they were on to something.
I agree Steve, I've read elsewhere that this motor is ripe for the "Hot-V" turbo setup. I'll bet we know later next year on the 2021 line up, will be interesting!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk