Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
SD Pheasant Hunting Recommendations - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Small Game and Birds

Old 09-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Slot Fish

Default SD Pheasant Hunting Recommendations

I am considering going to SD this fall to do some pheasant hunting this fall. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lodge/outfitter/landowner to contact. Ideally I would find a landowner who charges a trespass fee for the hunting and then I would find my own lodging and food because I don't need and can't afford fancy accommodations. I would not need a guide or a dog and am not interested in getting put together with another group. I teach school and so my only good option is to go over my Christmas break (between Christmas and the Jan. 5th close of season). I contacted UGuide but they close down before Christmas and so that is not an option for me.

Anyway if anybody has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
NVM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Keeper

oahe wings and walleyes
chad schilling
605-649-7331
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Cant help you with your search, but can give you some helpful info. If you purchase your license after the 15th December, you can use 5 days this year, and 5 days next hunting year. If you purchase it prior to, you have to use all ten days up during this season..

Roadside surveys are brutal this year. Down like 54% from last years dismal season..

Theres a late, late hatch that may not have been noted by the surveys, that could possibly be the difference.

Going later in the season is helpful to gain access, but you should look to when the deer season are, and those weekends usually have some land tied up..

Even with the poor count, Im looking forward to heading out as often as I can,.,.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
license agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog View Post
Cant help you with your search, but can give you some helpful info. If you purchase your license after the 15th December, you can use 5 days this year, and 5 days next hunting year. If you purchase it prior to, you have to use all ten days up during this season...
Where can I find that info in print? thanks
Old 09-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by license agent View Post

its %64 from last year, not %54. down %76 from the 10 year average.

From what I've been seeing these numbers are even conservative... This is what happens when all the CRP is now farm ground. Sloughs are no longer, Pasture ground broken to farm, etc......

http://gfp.sd.gov/hunting/small-game...t-outlook.aspx

Last edited by Ned; 09-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Wallhanger

a lot of those numbers come from the aberdeen area which has been hit hard the last few years with cold. One of my hunting areas got drowned out last year and barley saw any birds at all.

I probably will go road hunt again with my daughter and go on another trip to pierre area with some buddies and our kids.

Look around the Pierre/gettysburg and winner area. Last year I could still road hunt around there pretty easily.

Remember to all, shoot high so a dog or myself don't get mistaken for a bird.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregking View Post
a lot of those numbers come from the aberdeen area which has been hit hard the last few years with cold. One of my hunting areas got drowned out last year and barley saw any birds at all.

I probably will go road hunt again with my daughter and go on another trip to pierre area with some buddies and our kids.

Look around the Pierre/gettysburg and winner area. Last year I could still road hunt around there pretty easily.

Remember to all, shoot high so a dog or myself don't get mistaken for a bird.
I will vouch for NE SD. Winter of 2010 was terrible. That's when the birds really took a hit.

And losing habitat ever since has only made matters much worse..
Old 09-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Slot Fish

I understand bird numbers are down and I appreciate the tips on which areas to look in. I live in Nebraska and have access to some pretty good ground but pheasants in eastern NE are almost a thing of the past. I live on 300 acres of CRP and I killed 2 pheasants on that ground last year (I have a dog and hunt quit a bit). We do habitat work and I think it might be helping a little on the quail but pheasants don't seem to be responding.

Even with bird numbers being down it still sounds to me like SD is the best option in this region (ND, SD, NE, IA, KS) for pheasants.

Thanks,
NVM
Old 09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by license agent View Post
Page 12 of the 2013 regulations states:

2013 licenses are valid from Dec 15th 2012 thru Jan 4th 2014

2014 licenses are valid from Dec 15th 2013 through Jan 4th 2015

In essence, by waiting to buy a license till after the 15th of December, 2013, you are actually purchasing a 2014 license that is good for the remaining 16 days in Dec 2013, all the way thru Jan 4th or 2015.. You can use all ten days of the 2014 license in 2013, or take 5 days this year, and 5 days next year, you just want to declare your last 5 days as the Dec 30-Jan 4th,2014 originally, and then reschedule it for when you can make the trip next season..
Old 09-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVM View Post
I understand bird numbers are down and I appreciate the tips on which areas to look in. I live in Nebraska and have access to some pretty good ground but pheasants in eastern NE are almost a thing of the past. I live on 300 acres of CRP and I killed 2 pheasants on that ground last year (I have a dog and hunt quit a bit). We do habitat work and I think it might be helping a little on the quail but pheasants don't seem to be responding.

Even with bird numbers being down it still sounds to me like SD is the best option in this region (ND, SD, NE, IA, KS) for pheasants.

Thanks,
NVM
That would be a very correct assessment NVM. South Dakota or North Dakota, if you own dog/s and want to hunt birds.