Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
us dollars exchange to canadian - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Minnow

Default us dollars exchange to canadian

Current rate is around 1.35 to one US. Where is best place to get money exchanged ? TY Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 PM
Wallhanger

Why...just use your credit card for all larger purchases and if you pay in US they will give you change back in CA.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:31 PM
mk cant log in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
.....and if you pay in US they will give you change back in CA.
A lot of local businesses will give you a terrible exchange rate. When the rate was about $1 US to $1.20 CN, I had more than one business, bait shop, restaurant or grocery store, exchange at par only.

Its always a good idea to get some CN $ but using credit card whenever possible is best.

Check your local bank or AAA for exchange. The exchanges at the border aren't bad but they'll usually get you for 3-5% compared to the 'official' rate. AAA or the banks will also charge you but its usually less than the border exchange shops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2017, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

My local bank will exchange for a ten dollar fee. So I convert about $500 US to CND every year. Yes, the credit card is a good way to go, but I like using cash when it's called for. I'm probably about 50-50 cash vs credit card.

I don't ask small shops to convert US to CND anymore than I would ask a small shop here at home to convert CND to US. I think it is a bit rude to assume a store will take US currency. If they do you are assured they are not going to give you a fair rate as they are assuming the risk (even if it is low risk) of currency fluctuation. I would do the same.

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

There are quite a few Canadians that come down to the area over the year.

Most of the stores, and even banks in my area will NOT take Canadian money.

They will take credit cards with no issue.

So, I think that it only fair, that the Canadian Banks and stores not take US money either.

---
When I asked the stores why they would not take Canadian currency and the answer was simple:

Every time that they took ANY canadian money to be exchanged, they were charged a flat rate of $10 us.

So, if they had 50 cents in Canadian coin, it would cost them $9.50 to exchange it.

The same would be true if they had $500 Canadian to exchange - again a Flat rate of $10 - or they would get the equivalent of $490 === plus the exchange rate to cash in the $500 Canadian.

Be safe
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Keeper

living 9 miles from the North Dakota border, we are always exchanging money. Today the Cdn $ is .7429 or the US $ is 1.3461. If you go to a Canadian bank they want to make a couple cents on the $, so I am guessing if you gave them $100 US, you would receive about $132 Canadian. Same goes for us buying American money. It will always cost us a couple dollars per hundred in bank fees.
You get the exchange rate by dividing $1 by the .7429 =1.3461.
To my knowledge there is no such thing at Canadian banks charging a flat rate of $10 to exchange currency.
But you are probably far better off exchanging money at a bank near the border, as they are familiar with the process.
And, yes, stores won't be paying a "fair" exchange rate either side of the border.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 AM
Wallhanger

Just be careful which credit card you use in Canada or any other country because some credit cards have a foreign transaction FEE on top of the exchange rate.
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 AM
Wallhanger

In the town where I live we have a money exchange store....big savings over the bank. With our recent trip down to Port Clinton we were wondering why more Americans were not up here spending and getting an extra 35 cents per dollar.

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Old 05-31-2017, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
In the town where I live we have a money exchange store....big savings over the bank. With our recent trip down to Port Clinton we were wondering why more Americans were not up here spending and getting an extra 35 cents per dollar.
Where about's is the money exchange? I'll be in Gan next week. I usually just swap cash with my Canadian friend, but it would be good to know an alternative if I needed a large sum.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Wallhanger

Usually the Duty Free stores will exchange currency on your way over. I would call to confirm the rate. I usually call all my local banks to see what their rates are. They have never charged me a flat fee to exchange. They usually take a percentage of the exchange anyway. Some of the banks here don't keep much Canadian on hand so calling ahead works well.