Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Is Minnkota Ulterra Worth Extra Cost... - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 07-01-2020, 06:18 AM
Keeper

Like the other posts I love my Ulterra. Just pressing the button to deploy or stow is awesome. Another feature I haven't heard anyone mention is the cruise control, which is new to me. If I am using the follow the contour feature or set the motor to troll in a direction I can set the speed I want and it automatically adjusts to keep on course while maintaining the same speed. After all the years of trying to keep everything under control in the boat while trying to fish having the Ulterra is great and some of the best money I have spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 06:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Bob View Post
Push a button, takes about 15 seconds to stow. About 1/2 that to trim up,then reach over to pull weeds with one hand while the other is keeping you from falling in.
You can also pause the action anywhere in the operation if you want.
Thanks for the info
Rhodan 72" 36v 120 lb. thrust trolling motor
Simrad nss evo2 12
BG Zeus2 12
Lowrance HDS 12 gen2
Lowrance point 1
Simrad is40
Sonarhub
LSS 1
2 Cannon tracks
2 Cannon electric downriggers
2 Highseas quad rod trees
6 Bert's ratcheting rod holders
Old 07-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Wallhanger

Ulterra all the way.

I really liked my Terrovas, but looking back it makes me smile.

Owning a Terrova now would be like having a TV with a remote that does everything but power the TV off and on. Can you imagine getting up and down to turn your TV of and on? If a TV came that way today, nobody would buy it.

We sometimes run and gun a lot and in those cases the Ulterra is priceless.

Good luck with your decision!

2020 Lund 1975 Pro-V
225 Mercury 15 Mercury
Ulterra 112 I Pilot Link MDI
Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA+ SI (2)
Humminbird 360
Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-i-Lama View Post
Can you imagine getting up and down to turn your TV of and on? If a TV came that way today, nobody would buy it.
No. That's why I have kids. They get beer and turn on the TV.

Now, if I could just get them to figure out how to close the door and shut off lights when they leave the room, I'll be set.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
No. That's why I have kids. They get beer and turn on the TV.

Now, if I could just get them to figure out how to close the door and shut off lights when they leave the room, I'll be set.
It was amazing how my daughter learned to close doors and turn out lights when she got her own place
Old 07-01-2020, 01:09 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
...over the Terrova? I have read some reviews that it may be a bit fragile. Are these true? I guess I have been deploying my bow mount for 20 years and wasn’t really seeing a problem with it. Is there more to the Ulterra than deploying remotely?
It just makes things a ton easier. The one thing you have to make sure of is that you have the newest version. Some boat dealers and resellers sell older stock and those units had known issues.

2018 and newer and if I recall Minn Kota told me the blue tooth version had all of the updated fixes. I bought one on a brand new boat in mid 018 and it failed on the water start of the season. Minn Kota told me that it was a 2016 version and wanted $$$ to fix. Dealer replaced it and no issues with it since.
15’ Talon
Ultera
Humminbird Helix X 2
Soon to be Panoptix
Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
It was amazing how my daughter learned to close doors and turn out lights when she got her own place
Shocking isn't it? Lol
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrain View Post
Following this post closely as I was going to pull the trigger on a Terrova. Question to the Ulterra users- if you are relocating short distances , is it okay to just trim all the way up and move without stowing the motor? I would also think the trim up would be good in weed cover to just trim up ,clear the weeds then trim back down without having to pull motor out of the water. I would appreciate any info related to that as I still bass fish in the slop on occasion
You can but I think when you mess with the trim up down it remembers the last position so you would have to re-trim each time. I take it up and down 50 times at least when fishing. It is built with that function in mind. If your not going fast to the next spot like just a jog over of <100 feet give or take you can just leave it in, When I say not fast I mean like trolling speeds. For trolling many people use it to steer and the kicker to push. You will know if you are going to fast because you will see the excess torque on it and that is not good.
15’ Talon
Ultera
Humminbird Helix X 2
Soon to be Panoptix
Old Today, 08:33 AM
Keeper

So this is my experience with the Ulterra. Got first one in 2017 and owned it till this spring. I put 4 transducers in the unit which Minn kota told me was my fault because i did not turn off sonar every time I stowed it. Three of those went out during one spring/summer season when still on warranty. The 4th one went out this spring. So what do I do? I buy another one. Now every time I stow, I run up to the bow and turn off sonar. Not that convenient but I obviously think the stow and deploy feature is worth all of the frustration. The latest thing I've noticed with the new one is that if the remote times out and turns off, I end up having to pair the motor and remote again. Then I have to restore defaults on the remote because the Ulterra icon is no where to be found. Then rearrange the icons the way I want them arranged. I've done this 4-5 times. I did a software upgrade yesterday but I've also set the remote to never time out. I guess Minn kota has me where they want me.
Old Today, 08:36 AM
Minnow

You are correct. It remembers its last position.
I-Pilot Link
ONIX 10 HD SI
ONIX 8 HD