Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Anybody Making Stuff This Winter? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NailsWI View Post
Hi 2XL, thinking of getting started pouring my own plastics this winter. Here is what I was gonna start with:

-Do-It essential series 3'' grub mold w/ injector
-1 gal. medium plastisol
-few colors of my choice
-few colors of glitter

any need for hardener, worm oil, scents etc.
Hi Nails

What you have listed is a good way to start out. I can tell you right now that making your own soft plastic baits is addicting as heck. LOL

I don't have the essential 3" grub mold but for the money, you can't beat the essential series molds.
No need for hardener, that's more for baits guys use to fish the ocean. Worm oil isn't a must have but it's a good idea to have some on hand.
You will want to get yourself some heat stabilizer. I use that a lot.
You will want to get a digital thermometer to check the temp of your plastic when you cook it up. Do-it has a good one on their site.
You will want to get a respirator. Go with an organic filter.
You can cook your plastic on a hot plate or in a microwave. There are many fans of both. I have done both and MUCH prefer using a microwave. You will want a dedicated microwave to cook your plastic in. DO NOT use the one in your kitchen !!!! NEVER cook food in a microwave that has been used to cook plastic.
You will want to work in a well ventilated area preferably not in your home. I shoot baits in my garage.
You will want to be wearing long pants, shoes , a lone sleeve shirt. Hot plastic will burn the ever lovin poo right out of you if a mishap happens .... and they will. I also wear a full length work apron or whatever you call them. Got mine at Ace hardware cheap. Better to get hot plastic on your apron than your clothes as the stuff does not come out once it gets on your cloths.
You'll want a pair of good gloves. Hot mill , leather or gloves that can take heat.

The best advice I can give is to read read and read some more on making plastic baits. There is a ton of info on the interwebs. I visit a few different bait making forums but Do-its forum is hands down the best one for learning how to make soft plastic baits.

You will want a set of measuring spoons. Not like the ones that you use in the kitchen, You'll want a set that measures Tads, Pinches , smidgens etc. I never knew there was such a thing until I started making soft plastic baits.
You will want to get yourself a little notebook. Take notes on every little thing you do. Write down your cooking times. Amount and type/brand of plastic used. How many drops of color, how much glitter, how much pearl/highlight powder etc. In essence, you are creating a cookbook of sorts. Write down everything so you can replicate a cool color again. I promise you will forget if you don't write it down.

A typical recipe of mine goes something like this.

# 20 color XYZ
4oz of plastic
X number of drops of color
X amount of pearl ( If I use it )
X amount of glitter
X amount of UV powder ( I ALWAYS add UV POWDER )

Not only do I write the color number and recipe in my book, I write it on the quart feezer bags I use to store my unused cooked plastic.

That's all I can think of off hand. It sounds like a lot of stuff and it is but you'll get this stuff down in no time. Check your PM. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks, that helps a ton. Nothing more satisfying than catching fish on your own creations.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Back when I used to pour plastic, I used vegetable oil, when I figured I need oil, it worked OK, used it to enable pulling product from home made molds which encapsulated the product to some extent. I never used gloves, for the same reason I don't when poring lead - too hard to work with. The plastic does hurt like the devil when you get some on you -you will. Lead splatter doesn't feel very good either!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Minnow

I have 6 or so rods to build for customers before I can start building the rods I want for myself.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Keeper

Worm oil is designed to work with soft plastic. If a little gets in with your uncooked plastic it will blend right in. I never intentionally mix worm oil into my plastic but I am sure it has happened in very tiny amounts. I have no clue what would happen if vegetable oil and plastic got mixed together so that's why I would stick with worm oil. It's cheap enough so why not. That being said, if vegetable oil works for you then more power to ya.

If you are going to be using an injector then you will need to wear gloves. Trust me, those injectors get hot once you dump 300+ degree plastic in them. I've never messed with open pour molds or homemade molds so I can't say one way or another about wearing gloves for that or not.

A LOT of the answers to questions guys new to soft plastic bait making are revealed as they learn the ins and outs of how the whole process works. There will be a lot of trial and error but I promise that you'll catch on quicker than you think. Just take a lot of notes. Your notebook will be your most valuable recourse.

I never wear gloves when I pour jigs either Bill. And yes, lead splatters smart but only for a little bit. LOL
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2XL View Post
I never wear gloves when I pour jigs either Bill. And yes, lead splatters smart but only for a little bit. LOL
Sorta like the old country song "It Only Hurts For A Little While".

Bill
Old 11-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Keeper

I used to work with a guy who would say "It only hurts until It doesn't hurt. Then it doesn't hurt anymore." That's one way to put it I guess. LOL
Old 11-25-2017, 05:37 AM
Slot Fish

I'll be making too many holes in the ice to worry about making anything else, I do like reading up on how you guys do stuff though.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 PM
Keeper

Default jigs

I have 7 bucktails that I want to put to use in making some bucktail jigs. I have the vise, the scissors and all, but lack the experience. Anyone have any videos or words of wisdom ?
Old 12-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Minnow

Default Been busy

Cleaned and cured 177 deer tails so far,went from this
http://i64.tinypic.com/259vde8.jpg to this
http://i68.tinypic.com/5otd6u.jpg