Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Rental agency purchases - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM
Wallhanger

I would not hesitate to buy another vehicle that was in a rental fleet, in fact just looked at one on the lot last friday. They get washed and cleaned regularly, get routine maintenance, oil changes etc. And are usually not "rode hard".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 06:57 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspencreek View Post
I would not hesitate to buy another vehicle that was in a rental fleet, in fact just looked at one on the lot last friday. They get washed and cleaned regularly, get routine maintenance, oil changes etc. And are usually not "rode hard".
I don't even get the "rode hard" thing.

Did these people have parents? Ever go to church or read a Bible? Grow up?

It's obvious the abuse could shorten the time until substantial, that someone else will have to pay for.

If it's the rental company they factor that into the price of rental cars. If it's the guy/gal who buys the used car needing to save some bucks on a new, that repair might be their vacation money that year.

I saw a guy go on a rampage in the movie "Falling Down" but I don't shoot up the convenience store because candy bars cost $1.25 now.

Selfish, uncaring, instant gratification society. No different than returning a broken rod as defective after you broke it trying to pull in the log you were too lazy to troll motor over to and retrieve your bait.

All selfish fraud that adds to the cost of goods for everyone and takes money that might have gone to employee raises.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I don't even get the "rode hard" thing.

Did these people have parents? Ever go to church or read a Bible? Grow up?

It's obvious the abuse could shorten the time until substantial, that someone else will have to pay for.

If it's the rental company they factor that into the price of rental cars. If it's the guy/gal who buys the used car needing to save some bucks on a new, that repair might be their vacation money that year.

I saw a guy go on a rampage in the movie "Falling Down" but I don't shoot up the convenience store because candy bars cost $1.25 now.

Selfish, uncaring, instant gratification society. No different than returning a broken rod as defective after you broke it trying to pull in the log you were too lazy to troll motor over to and retrieve your bait.

All selfish fraud that adds to the cost of goods for everyone and takes money that might have gone to employee raises.
One soda fifty cents.... lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2YRMixW9u8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Wallhanger

previously leased and previously rented vehicles are a bit different. i worked for agencies that sold both. Our last go around buying a new fan was because of a accident. when we picked up our rental from Enterprise, they told us that they had a fleet of vehicles. The problems we ran into was their minivan models were pretty basic and the price was way too high based on what we found elsewhere.

buying previously leased and rentals are fine through a reputable company. The one i worked for went through quite a process to determine if they'd take a care and attempt to sell it. Ultimately back in the day, many leasers would not get oil changes at the right time etc. today i think thats written into the paperwork plus most newer vehicles can go quite a while wihtout changes.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

People like to say that they'd never buy a rental car, but these and leased vehicles make up a big portion of all used car sales at dealers, whether people look at the CarFax or not.

The fear about rental cars is really overblown. Think about how the majority of them are driven. Most are driven by business people from the airport a couple miles to the hotel, a couple miles to the workplace they are going to, and then back to the hotel. Especially in most cities.

If you bought a car that was was a rental in a place like Vegas, sure, be a bit more wary.

If anything, rental cars are better taken care of than most used vehicles because the rental company ensures they receive normal maintenance. And with extended warranties that most people buy on any used car, it doesn't really matter what the previous life of the car was.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

I bought a 2010 Tahoe that was from originally from enterprise. They take good care of their vehicles as far a maintenance goes. I had no issues with the vehicle for the 50,000 miles I had it. I am not sure I would want a leased vehicle but I would buy a rental again if it were a higher end rental like a Tahoe.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:36 PM
Minnow

On rental cars, I was in the truck leasing business and did service work on several rental company busses. Worked close with their service managers. The way it works for them, say it's GM products the factory sends then a allotment of cars, they are tasked with doing the maintaince on them to the letter. Also any recalls they immediately have to shut car down until repaired. They do all the warranty work necessary and it's over Sean by a GM warranty rep. They are constantly being audited by GM on all their maintaince work. Then they are pulled at a certain time no matter mileage and sent usually to auction's for sale. Now it looks like they are letting rental company's sell cars them selfs. For a used car they are about as good a deal as your going to find. Lease vehicals are another story all together. Wouldn't touch one for all the reasons stated above
Old 10-05-2018, 05:37 AM
Wallhanger

My only experience with leasing was a Toyota lease my ex wife got into. The regular maintenance was part of the lease, and the repairs (none) were part of the warranty.

I don't know if most/other leases have the oil changes included but some do apparently.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Wallhanger

Anonymouse spent over 2 years hunting down his latest auto purchase (2016).
In that time he had several interactions with rental agencies and off-lease dealer offers, but in the end ONLY a private seller would come down to the price Anonymouse had set as the most he would pay for a 3-4 year old vehicle with under 25,000 miles on it.
(2012 Chrysler 300 Limited, with 24,500 mi. for $15,500. At the time no dealer or agency in the country would sell me one like that for under 17,500 & almost all of them had a lot more than 24,500 miles on them too.)

Rental agencies have ZERO give in their offering price - it's set by corporate and corporate does NOT handle sales. Thus the "no haggling" price.
CarMax is the same way and they are even worse. They flat out rip you off. Anonymouse got better offers right next door at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer for the exact same cars.
Dealer off-leases are pretty much the same, but there is a couple grand in wiggle room in their inventory at least.

The internet has REALLY bolluxed us recent used model car buyers because everyone knows the going rate in an area and they don't HAVE to budge one inch.
Private Owners have various reasons and expediency issues and most often CAN be negotiated to a better deal.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
My only experience with leasing was a Toyota lease my ex wife got into. The regular maintenance was part of the lease, and the repairs (none) were part of the warranty.

I don't know if most/other leases have the oil changes included but some do apparently.
Same except Mini Cooper. Bought one for my wife this summer, 2015 model with 18,000 miles. Per the lease all routine maintenance had been done at the dealership that originally leased the car and it was sold as Certified Pre Owned. That meant that the warranty was extended another 5 years for me so long as I do maintenance at the dealership which is a once a year oil change and check up. Also covered in the maintenance agreement are all parts that will need replacing due to wear and tear like brakes, tires, filters, wiper blades and the major service at 60,000 miles. Not a bad deal and one that gives me confidence the car is in good shape. Total cost over the 60 month loan period is just over $22,000.