Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Eagle Lake ice out - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 05-01-2019, 05:07 PM
Wallhanger

Default Eagle Lake ice out

was in Vermilion Bay today and took a look at the governmemt dock.Most of north shore is open and ice looking very black.Even with our cool temps its still slowly melting.definatly going to be ice free within another week iam guessing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (5).jpg
Views:	159
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	309736  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 AM
Keeper

I was on the bridge at narrows and no ice to be seen. Ice in outlet bay 200 yards from shore and can see it piled up on rock 1&2. It wont be long now!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Keeper

ice is out on vermilion bay.. big lake still has a little but will be gone very soon .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWwalleye View Post
ice is out on vermilion bay.. big lake still has a little but will be gone very soon .
Sweet will be up June 3rd hunting for them big girls
Old 05-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Slot Fish

I will be at Temple Bay 5/29-6/2. Looking forward to it, this will be my first time on Eagle lake.

LM
Old 05-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Minnow

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by prov1800 View Post
was in Vermilion Bay today and took a look at the governmemt dock.Most of north shore is open and ice looking very black.Even with our cool temps its still slowly melting.definatly going to be ice free within another week iam guessing
Do you, or anyone else, know if this 2019 ice out is sooner, or later, than average? How does it compare to last year (my first time on Eagle lake).

Also, are water levels up, or down, compared to 1) 2018 and/or 2) an average year.

I was up the first week of June in 2018. Will be up the 2nd week in June this year. Did not try for Lake trout nor smallies last year - think I'd like to give it a go this year. Any idea if lake trout will still be roaming everywhere, rather shallow, or if the water will be above 52 degrees and the trout found deeper?

Best wishes and best of fisherman's luck.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donic View Post
Do you, or anyone else, know if this 2019 ice out is sooner, or later, than average? How does it compare to last year (my first time on Eagle lake).

Also, are water levels up, or down, compared to 1) 2018 and/or 2) an average year.

I was up the first week of June in 2018. Will be up the 2nd week in June this year. Did not try for Lake trout nor smallies last year - think I'd like to give it a go this year. Any idea if lake trout will still be roaming everywhere, rather shallow, or if the water will be above 52 degrees and the trout found deeper?

Best wishes and best of fisherman's luck.
Donic…..you could check out our blog http://vermilionbaylodge.com/blog/ for this year's ice out date and go back in the archives to compare previous years. It's been a colder spring so anything is possible in terms of trout, but I'm thinking 2nd week of June might be a bit warm for shallow trout...….but they won't be deep.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bay gord View Post
Donic…..you could check out our blog http://vermilionbaylodge.com/blog/ for this year's ice out date and go back in the archives to compare previous years. It's been a colder spring so anything is possible in terms of trout, but I'm thinking 2nd week of June might be a bit warm for shallow trout...….but they won't be deep.
Very good. Thanks! And I enjoyed all of the tips posted on your page, by species - very helpful.

I had great luck with Muskies and Pike the first week of June last year (2018). But struggled a bit with the walleyes, had very few smallies, and no trout. I wold really like to get a lot of action on all of them. This year I've ordered a lake map of Eagle lake - I'm not that great with the depth finder, in terms of finding humps and reefs. Hopefully the map will help.

And I'm thinking I've got a better game plan this year, as it won't be a completely new lake this time.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donic View Post
Very good. Thanks! And I enjoyed all of the tips posted on your page, by species - very helpful.

I had great luck with Muskies and Pike the first week of June last year (2018). But struggled a bit with the walleyes, had very few smallies, and no trout. I wold really like to get a lot of action on all of them. This year I've ordered a lake map of Eagle lake - I'm not that great with the depth finder, in terms of finding humps and reefs. Hopefully the map will help.

And I'm thinking I've got a better game plan this year, as it won't be a completely new lake this time.
You might also consider hiring one of these guides....both are very good.

www.eagleeyeguiding.com

www.calritchie.com

One day with a guide might be helpful.