Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Alumacraft offering Yamaha again - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-01-2020, 06:10 AM
Minnow

Hey Tim, just a question I noticed you have a sho 175 on your boat. I just bought a new boat and thats what it came with. I have always been a mercury guy so I dont know much about the Yamaha, Can you give ma any advise (likes/dislikes) on the SHO 175?
Thank you for your input.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelinda View Post
Hey Tim, just a question I noticed you have a sho 175 on your boat. I just bought a new boat and thats what it came with. I have always been a mercury guy so I dont know much about the Yamaha, Can you give ma any advise (likes/dislikes) on the SHO 175?
Thank you for your input.
Steve
Good hole shot, great mid range torque, top end is weak. Excellent fuel Milage and very quiet. And Yamaha reliability...

I run a 17 p tempest plus that has been cupped. It does pretty good on my boat. 46 mph top end on my heavy boat. I think Merc props are way better than Yamaha. The flo torq 4 hub is quieter and less chatter than the SDS.
112 Ulterra linked with Birds
Old 09-04-2020, 05:38 PM
Minnow

Tim, I agree with you on hole shot mad mid range for sure. Like you the top end is slow I think I am at around 45mph.
I have a Yamaha Reliance series 17P. My question is when you had your prop pitched did you notice much difference? I was told in my case live it alone it already is cupped from the factory. I know moving up in pitch will increase top end. Do think your boat would turn a 19P and still perform fine in all areas? I am considering going to a 19P in aluminum just to try it before I go the expense of an other stainless prop. Last thing you said the mercury tempest is the better prop correct?
Thanks Steve
Old 09-04-2020, 06:18 PM
Keeper

I tried a 19p tempest and 19p 4 blade. Engine wouldn’t get past 5300 rpms and it was slower by 3 mph. I have a 17p reliance also and it is 1mph faster than the tempest but doesn’t get the bow up like I want. Tempest gives me better slip ratio... fuel efficiency.

I think I may need to raise the motor up to the highest hole to turn a 19p but I do t want to lose the trim or the grip for 2 mph
112 Ulterra linked with Birds