Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 09:43 AM
Wallhanger

I have had 5 small diesel vehicles and EVERY one of them i had issues with (slow learner). I will never have another, if you are unsure talk to the service manager or mechanics at the dealership...you will find none of them have the diesel vehicles. For the average "boat puller" the gas engines will do a more than adequate job. I pull a 621 with the Dodge Ram Hemi and there are no issues with torque and decent MPH

YouTube...Jim Lyon Fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2021, 08:26 PM
Keeper

My Eco in my 2019 RAM hasn’t had any “pollution control” issues that caused any downtime. There was an EGR cooler recall done. It wasn’t affected by the big legal deal as the ‘17 was after that fiasco. Once I put in a tune, it performs to expectations and gets good mileage, empty or towing, way better than my previous hemi. In 2020 with the new body style, the engine got a good bump in performance.
If the OP is looking at an ‘18 Eco Grand Cherokee, the drivetrain should be down on the list of concerns, in my opinion.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Wallhanger

You can put me squarely in the "fan" category of the 3.0 diesels. Or at least the EcoDiesel.

People who say there isn't an advantage in MPG are simply wrong. Search fuelly.com. In a 2018 GC that is Hemi powered, average MPG is 15.3. The EcoDieel is 23.2 MPG. And, at least around here, for the last year or so, diesel has been about the same price as regular unleaded.

The huge, flat torque band, with gobs of torque at low RPMs make them a joy to drive. If I were buying a 1500 today, it is the only engine I would consider. If I were buying a full size SUV today, the 3.0 Duramax in the GM's would be high on my list.

I just wish they would put it in more vehicles.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:09 AM
Minnow

Wife has a hemi GC and I an Ecodiesel Ram. I have the GDE tune and I nearly double up her MPG both towing and not. Just got 29mpg doing 70mph over a 300 mile highway stretch and towing an 18ft glass boat over 75mph on the interstate I'd get nearly 17 while she'd be under 10. No issues with the pollution control gear, though the regen cycles are inconvenient at times.

The only thing I did not like about it stock was the terrible throttle lag. Once the tune was in that was gone and then some.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Wallhanger

Thats a great comparison ! What year was you Eco ?
Old 11-29-2021, 02:16 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkman View Post
Thats a great comparison ! What year was you Eco ?
Ram is a 2017, GC is a 2010